• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

EatingBen

EatingBen

To clarify my view.

I’ve had sous vide meats that have been sous vide in an oven before. The pork belly skin ain’t anywhere near as soaked and actually developed a crackle that was very nice, red meat was still just as juicy but the outside sear was just better from not having soaked in it’s own juices. 

I love sous vide, I use it all the time (almost daily) but I want more from sous vide that I can’t get from the bagged approach.

I should clarify, the meat itself wasn’t better because it was sous vide in an oven over a bag, it was still as tender and delicious, the results where the same but just finished better. 

another one however, custards in an accurate temp controlled oven, eggs, the list goes on. I can I,aging hundreds of different things I can do in an oven with accurate temp control to sous vide levels even just for presentational 

EatingBen

EatingBen

I’ve had sous vide meats that have been sous vide in an oven before. The pork belly skin ain’t anywhere near as soaked and actually developed a crackle that was very nice, red meat was still just as juicy but the outside sear was just better from not having soaked in it’s own juices. 

I love sous vide, I use it all the time (almost daily) but I want more from sous vide that I can’t get from the bagged approach.