• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

I am super interested in how it would work. 

"No need to use a frighteningly hot pan to sear. We’re truly excited to be able to make something crispy without the omnipresent risk of a grease fire." 

I wonder if the steam oven can really sear the protein? Wish they could explain further 

And....guessing they control the wet bulb temperature of the food by controlling the temperature of the steam? Because the temp of the steam is the temp of the wet bulb temp on the food. 

what do people think below $500?

if Anova's stated aim is to have a fully connected kitchen and this appears in January's CES, then a precise induction unit must be in the background too.

Edited by adey73 (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is about time someone has done this.  Modernist Cuisine called for exactly this sort of combi oven in 2011, where you can directly set the wet and dry bulb temperature.  Even the expensive Rational combis (pro kitchens only) or the Gaggenau/Miele/Wolf residential units do not do this.

Mainstream consumer products, however, are limited to about 1800W by our standard U.S. outlets.  That is unless Anova is planning on requiring a 240V outlet, as many residential wall ovens require.

Per adey73's suggestion, I do hope Anova will have an induction burner at a reasonable price.  The Breville/Polyscience Control Freak is just stupid expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had picked up a rumor on FB that Anova would debut its precision oven at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, so I went looking. Did not find the oven (the show just opened this morning), but the Impossible Foods people are now bringing us Impossible Pork.

Article says it'll be at selected Burger Kings in the next few weeks as Impossible Sausage in the Croissanwich. I'll check around here. The rest of y'all, keep an eye out and take a hit for the team, OK?

Will be following CES looking for the Anova oven.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Click for video on steam oven

There are a number of YouTube videos on the oven

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It looks big enough to be practical for more users than the CSO is/was.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

the video of the ASO gives the impression to me

that its larger than the CSO

Kudos available to the first eG'er to actually finds out its true inner dimensions

Im thinking its going to come in at $ 399.

OK , Maybe $ 349

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

the video of the ASO gives the impression to me

that its larger than the CSO

Kudos available to the first eG'er to actually finds out its true inner dimensions

Im thinking its going to come in at $ 399.

OK , Maybe $ 349

But when?

• Like 1

Any non-Bora Bora based business would put out a press release and a spec sheet.*  I wasted much of a slow work afternoon refreshing google search.

*been there, done that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

does anyone know the L capacity of the CSO ?

im hoping that the Anova is :

1 ) attractively priced , and well made.     Im willing to wait for JB to discount it

2 )  larger , yes , but not so much width and depth , fine quality that they are , but height  for bread baking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

2 )  larger , yes , but not so much width and depth , fine quality that they are , but height  for bread baking.

Well, if 38 litters is to be believed, that's about 2319 cubic inches.  Assume the width and depth are 18x13 inches, half sheet pan size.  That gives a height of almost 10 inches, compared to the 7 inches of the CSO.

Disclaimers apply.  Math is not my thing, could be an order of magnitude off.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Well, if 38 litters is to be believed, that's about 2319 cubic inches.  Assume the width and depth are 18x13 inches, half sheet pan size.  That gives a height of almost 10 inches, compared to the 7 inches of the CSO.

Disclaimers apply.  Math is not my thing, could be an order of magnitude off.

But in one of their videos on YouTube they did spatchcock the chicken which makes me suspicious of the height of the oven. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog