• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

Just received an email about a new Anova tool - an oven. It looks like a steam-convection oven. Anyone seen any pricing for this unit? 

https://anovaculinary.com/introducing-the-anova-precision-oven/?utm_source=01.+Primary+Marketing+List&utm_campaign=2c20ed390d-news_anova_TPO&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f33347b916-2c20ed390d-100025837&ct=t(news_anova_TPO)&goal=0_f33347b916-2c20ed390d-100025837&mc_cid=2c20ed390d&mc_eid=7716df78bd

it's supposed to work in conjunction with the Anova sous vide unit, through the same app. 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title after splitting actual cooking posts to a new topic (log)
  • Like 2

But will it make "good" toast?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Below is the list of capabilities that I pulled from the website.  Anybody want to make a guess on how much it will cost?  I'm guessing that early bird funders (if they go with a kickstarter type campaign) will be able to snag one for under $300 - maybe $250?  Another connected steam oven (Tovala) went for about $200 at launch.  The Anova oven adds a searing plate and integration to their existing product.   

Sous vide, Steam cooking, Searing plate, Convection bake, Broil, Communicate with your Precision Cooker, and Coordinated cooking cycles.

• Like 1

"""    Communicate with your Precision Cooker,  """

Why ?  the PC tells the oven that the Salmon will be done in 2 hours ? 

the oven then adjusts its temp so its contents are done at the same time ?

hope this delivers in the same way that the original and current Anova deliver.

• Like 1

No 1/4 sheet pan and no toast function = fail! Will await developments but unless it can be dehydrated except when in use it's not going to end up at my house!  Any footprint greater and than one square inch.....   Can't do it.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

They seem to have sold themselves on their own 'connected appliance' spiel.  As a satisfied Anova Precision Cooker owner without a device that works with it,  I don't care.  I don't know why I would.  Their pitch sounds like they're selling a crock pot.

Steam + convection sounds great for bread.  I have hope for this product, but forget the network capabilities.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

Steam + convection sounds great for bread.  I have hope for this product, but forget the network capabilities.

...especially in light of today's DDoS attacks, thought to have been fueled by poorly-secured IoT devices. Boy, I just can't wait until all cars are connected in real time, too...

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Like some of you, I've never used the iphone app to program my Anova - mostly because my phone os is too old and I can't install the app but also because I don't need it.  Setting a temp and hitting the start button is not that difficult. 

I actually dropped out of being a Tovala Oven backer and the main reason was because the non-app interface was too painful to use when I demo'd it.  You really had to use a smartphone (or scan one of their pre-made meals) to make the thing useful (at least that was the case with the prototype that I looked at).  Hopefully, the Anova interface will be usable and efficient without an app. 

• Like 2

I would conjecture that the integration is for the less schooled and short of time. 

Come home on a week night and drop the protein in the bath and a casserole in the oven. Let the machine/machines decide when the table needs to be set. 

Frozen casserole and fresh counter protein? Vice versa? A frozen soup and a grilled cheese? 

I could write some of the algorithms, pour the vino early.   

In an industrial setting, bath A13 paired with oven B12 could be benificial. 

Imagine the timing possibilities of pairs and groups with banks. 

Edited by Spork (log)

FWIW, I exclusively use the Bluetooth app for my Anova.

Mainly because the scroll wheel stopped working after the warranty expired.  Contact with the CSR drones proved futile, as they deflected any suggestion of working with me on how to fix the problem. 

The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, which will soon be rectified when I pull the short ribs out of the water later today ;)

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

@Joe Blowe, there is an Anova rep that follows the the SousVide forum on Reddit.  Whenever anyone contacts that rep though a Reddit PM they seem to get a replacement, but it usually after they have posted their problem in the forum.  It shouldn't be necessary to go that route, but it seems to work.  My unit failed and I got a replacement on the first try with no questions asked by just emailing the support address.  I have seen many reports similar to mine but also many like yours.  Perhaps it depends on who gets your initial request.

As for the oven, so far I am not very interested.  Sous vide has a lot of room for error in terms of timing so I rarely use the app (although I will have to use an app if my Joule ever gets shipped).  Oven cook times are not as forgiving though so perhaps a temperature probe and a smart cooking algorithm will be a real advantage.  I will definitely need to be sold on the usefulness of communication between the PC and the oven though. I wonder if that is mostly an attempt to gain a marketing advantage over their SV competition.

Edited by rustwood (log)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the heads up on Reddit forum.  I just might give that a go...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I'm an avid Anova user with two units and have had thoughts of a third.   Still like the first unit best - very straightforward.  With the bluetooth unit I use the app because I hate the wheel and after 2 years can still not set the time.  Can't see any problem that the wifi unit solves.

Also having a hard time seeing a use for a very precise toaster oven.  Mrs Swanson does not care if oven is 350F or 352F.  I've read the release and the hype and despite being predisposed to like the product and being a wee bit temperature anal, I can't quite figure what problem it solves.  Would love to see the same approach applied to full size ovens - can't stand the back of lower rack being 50F hotter than front of top rack.  But oven has to hold 1/2 pans at least to be of any use.

Re customer service.  I've found it to be excellent when I've needed it.  Unless Shermie answers the call.  In that event, hang up immediately, throw the phone in the ocean and try again.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daveb said:

I'm an avid Anova user with two units and have had thoughts of a third.   Still like the first unit best - very straightforward.  With the bluetooth unit I use the app because I hate the wheel and after 2 years can still not set the time.  Can't see any problem that the wifi unit solves.

Also having a hard time seeing a use for a very precise toaster oven.  Mrs Swanson does not care if oven is 350F or 352F.  I've read the release and the hype and despite being predisposed to like the product and being a wee bit temperature anal, I can't quite figure what problem it solves.  Would love to see the same approach applied to full size ovens - can't stand the back of lower rack being 50F hotter than front of top rack.  But oven has to hold 1/2 pans at least to be of any use.

Re customer service.  I've found it to be excellent when I've needed it.  Unless Shermie answers the call.  In that event, hang up immediately, throw the phone in the ocean and try again.  

Check out "Current Sales and Bargains" top is for the Anova discount code at Target.  It brings price down to 111 dollars.  Three (sous vide) is a charm!

• 2 months later...

well , the oven cooker certainly is a fine looking item.  Im pleased Anova is updating it circulators.

I dont recall how large the APO is , and the " semi-standard " seems for many to be  " 1/4 Sheet Pan "

since you can't go back in time any more , hopefully if the APO fits the 1/4 sheet many will be able to enjoy a Tastier Future

does anyone know its actual inner dimensions ?

• 4 months later...

I thought to google the APC and was disappointed to learn :

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

Summer '18

but there is this :

https://www.engadget.com/gallery/anovas-precision-cooker-and-oven-at-ces-2017/#gallery=469606&slide=4336618&index=2

looks like quite the beauty.

but why the extra year ?

the ' new ' circulators look pretty spiffy !

• Like 1