• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hey everyone!

Saturable

I'm in college right now, and I've recently began dabbling in the world of culinary arts. Well, art is probably not what I'd call my cooking right now, but I'm making food edible enough that most people actually enjoy eating! Our grocery store here is quite expensive, so my diet consists mostly of chicken, pork, and beef, but why not, right? I love pan frying things, and I especially love using seasoned salt on pretty much all of my meats.

I also really enjoy baking. Specifically, breadsticks, pretzels, and sweets. I even started trying to make candies, but they didn't turn out as planned. They were supposed to be hard enough that you have to suck on them for a while and then turn chewy, but they were just chewy. I've also made caramels three times, and I finally got them to the point where they can hold their shape! (I actually got the recipe from this forum, and that's how I found this place.)

I look forward to seeing you all around!

• Like 2

Welcome, Saturable! I must say you sound far more advanced in your cookery than I was at your age. During that time of my life I once made a quick bread with baking soda instead of baking powder (disaster), made mac-and-cheese soup from the Kraft box because I didn't know to drain the pasta before adding the 'cheese' powder, and thought my best friend was very sophisticated because she actually knew how to make lasagna.

I am curious about your expensive grocery store leading you to eat mostly chicken, pork and beef.  Aren't the vegetables and grains less expensive than those proteins?

It's good that you've found the pastry and baking forum, and the confections topics.  You'll continue to get a lot of help here.  If you have any questions about how the forums work, feel free to ask a host (I am one) or ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown