• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Doesn't Like Ice Cream?

Shel_B

This afternoon, while returning from Trader Joe's where I purchased a quart of ice cream, my driver asked, "Who doesn't like ice cream?"  It seems we agreed that neither of us knew anyone who didn't like the treat.  That question made me wonder if there's anyone who doesn't like it.  Is there anyone here who dislikes ice cream?  The question doesn't directly apply to those who can't eat it for dietary or other reasons.

• Like 1

... Shel

I didn't like it for a long long time (decades). I think it had to do with, as a kid, almost being force-fed ice cream after getting my tonsils removed. But recently someone offered me a milkshake, it was delicious, and I've liked them ever since. :D

8 hours ago, SusieQ said:

I didn't like it for a long long time (decades). I think it had to do with, as a kid, almost being force-fed ice cream after getting my tonsils removed. But recently someone offered me a milkshake, it was delicious, and I've liked them ever since. :D

That sounds more like you didn't want ice cream due to the tonsil removal association. I bet if you'd shoveled a bite or two in against your wishes, you still would have liked it. :D

I know people, myself included, who don't care for specific flavors of ice cream... but I don't know anybody who just plain ol' doesn't like it. But somebody will turn up. Even if there is nobody who actually dislikes it, it's the internet and the forums don't have a contrarian filter. :P

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I know people, myself included, who don't care for specific flavors of ice cream... but I don't know anybody who just plain ol' doesn't like it. But somebody will turn up. Even if there is nobody who actually dislikes it, it's the internet and the forums don't have a contrarian filter. :P

LOL That would be like a garden having a plant filter. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

For decades I refused all ice cream.  No thank you. My parents had one of those early freezer plans in the 50s with constant buckets of cheap ice cream.  Ice cream was dessert.  The constant dessert.  The only dessert.  And only vanilla, chocolate and Neapolitan.  So who needed it?

Then one day, many decades later, in Moab Utah, my home away from home, there was an ICE-20 ice cream maker for sale in our favorite local second hand store, Wabi Sabi, for $5.  Could not resist.  Started making ice cream from scratch and had an epiphanal moment in my life.  Ice cream could be delicious.

But still, I can have all different flavored home made and delicious  ice cream in my freezer and not be tempted to overeat on it.  Two tablespoons at a time is sufficient for me.  :x

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I suppose my opinion doesn't count due to the why, but I never ate it for decades because of sensitive teeth. My teeth are a bit less sensitive now, but I just never developed a taste for anything extremely cold--ice cream, frozen drinks or even drinks with a lot of ice. I might try a bite of it with cake or pie if it was very melted. And then, just a bite really. I'm not overly fond of very sweet foods either, so it is a double whammy with ice cream.

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)
  • Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

I have a cousin who, because he grew up in war time rationing, never tasted it until he was in his late teens. That was in hospital after his tonsils were removed. He immediately complained that it was cold and requested that it be heated up.

He never developed a taste for it.

Me, I love good ice cream, but it is sadly lacking here in China. Their ice cream is awful. The best in town is McDonald's! Sad.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I don't really like it. I am forced to eat it twice a year, with cake,  on my kids' birthdays. I try to get vanilla as I really don't like chocolate ice cream, 

I really don't care for anything sweet. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

My dad was stationed in the Philippines during WWII. They got various rations; ice cream was dropped in large foil-covered packages from aircraft a few times per month. He always swapped his ice cream rations for beer rations, and didn't even like beer very much. He hated ice cream.

11 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

I don't really like it. I am forced to eat it twice a year, with cake,  on my kids' birthdays. I try to get vanilla as I really don't like chocolate ice cream, 

I really don't care for anything sweet. 

Who says ice cream has to be sweet?  That's why God created trehalose.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Who says ice cream has to be sweet?  That's why God created trehalose.

The very first ice cream I made contained no sugar or sweetener.  It was Sorbetto di Parmigiano:

"Sorbetti became very popular in the eighteenth century, and the category included many non-sweet dishes.

There is a famous treatise on sorbetti by a physician of the time, telling of the many therapeutic uses for these

iced dishes. This one, of Parmigiano, is typical of the non-sweet examples, and perhaps the easiest to understand

for the modern palate. It should be eaten in place of the cheese course, either instead of dessert or before it.

The dish has an established place in the old Parma cooking and is *not* an experiment."

Source: Giuliano Bugialli's "Classic Techniques of Italian Cooking"  I'd be happy to provide the recipe and technique to anyone interested.

There's also a Gelato di Parmigiano, which, while technically not an ice cream, is made along similar lines and was usually enjoyed in the same manner during a meal.  It's interesting in that many recipes call for  a small amount of chili pepper. Frequently it's been served as an appetizer - it goes very well with thin slices of prosciutto (Parma ham).

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel