• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

I've had a few memorable meals in hotel restaurants. The Pressoir d Argent in the Grand Hotel du Bordeaux is a Mich. 1-star. Even room service was fabulous.  The Four Seasons in Phila had one of the best restaurants in town, the Fountain Room, which , alas, is gone.  Lacroix, at the Rittenhouse is still top notch.

But yes, hotel restaurants are mainly for 24 hr room service and breakfast buffets, which are critical for a business traveler. 

I've seen a trend in some NYC hotels where the room service comes in take out containers with disposable silverware. Same high prices for a big drop in quality.  French fries and Reuben s don't survive in  that steamy package. And I hate plastic utensils.

gfweb

gfweb

I've had a few memorable meals in hotel restaurants. The Pressoir d Argent in the Grand Hotel du Bordeaux is a Mich. 1-star. Even room service was fabulous.  The Four Seasons in Phila had one of the best restaurants in town, the Fountain Room, which , alas, is gone.

But yes, hotel restaurants are mainly for 24 hr room service and breakfast buffets, which are critical for a business traveler. 

I've seen a trend in some NYC hotels where the room service comes in take out containers with disposable silverware. Same high prices for a big drop in quality.  French fries and Reuben s don't survive in  that steamy package. And I hate plastic utensils.