• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lucky Peach Power Vegetables

heidih

I've been following the preview recipes and it looks interesting although probably almost all available free on line. Anyone pre-ordered or considering?  These days I rarely purchase a recipes only book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/055344798X/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=lucpeatum-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=055344798X&linkId=dcfd4947c743eb151b8cc477fe8653c9

I have been watching it and will probably ultimately succumb.  However, the sample recipes I have seen  suggest to me that it is more about disguising vegetables then it is about bringing out the best in them.  I will be watching to see how others react now that it has been released. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I pre-ordered it and it is supposed to be delivered today.  I've seen some of the teaser recipes from it online and haven't been moved to make any of them, but hopefully there will be enough in the book to make it worthwhile.  I'll follow up once we have had a chance to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 11:07 AM, btbyrd said:

Any more thoughts on this one?

I've been quite busy of late and haven't been home for dinner on the right nights, but my spouse has made ~5 dishes.  Nam prik head is the favorite so far.  It is a spicy Thai dip served with raw veggies and/or in lettuce cups.  Kaddu was a close second (a pumpkin/squash and tomato dish).

We made Tofu Coney Island last night.  We skipped the raw onions on top but tried the mustard on some of it.  I didn't think that was a plus at all - except if you were really going for the look.  The miso mushroom chili on top was tasty though.  We only had white miso on hand and not quite as much as was called for but it was still a very in-your-face sweet and sour sauce.  I think it would really pack quite a flavor punch with the full amount of red miso (maybe too much).  FWIW, we tried frying half the tofu as per the recipe and sprayed the other half with cooking oil and broiled it for about 20 minutes (turning halfway).  I think the broiled was actually better - and it was a much easier cleanup.  Now we have to figure out how best to use up the leftover "chili".

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I borrowed this one from the library.  Of course all three of the new cookbooks I requested came to me on the same day and with only a 2-week, no-renew loan period.  

The turnips with anchovies, roasted garlic and parsley sounded especially delicious and there were enough other interesting recipes that it's going on my wish list to buy.  

• Like 2