• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

37 minutes ago, heidih said:

What?!?  - you mean those berries that are starting to redden up in So Cal in time for Christmas? Details please :) 

Yes, one and the same.  Mine turned red earlier than usual this year.IMG_4013.jpg

I used a recipe from Kevin West's "Saving the Season" and posted about it over on the preserving thread: Click

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2016 at 9:09 AM, rotuts said:

this can only mean you have not had it properly cooked.

although shaped quite differently , think of it as a Pennsylvania Banger.

Maple syrup or ketchup can ease you into scrapple.

Think of it as sliced and fried haggis.

That help @Anna N?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Maple syrup or ketchup can ease you into scrapple.

Think of it as sliced and fried haggis.

That help @Anna N?

In a word-- NOPE. But your concern is touching. :D

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

In a word-- NOPE. But your concern is touching. :D

I have to side with rotuts on this. Like beef tongue, I was introduced to scrapple ( the porcine version of fried polenta) early in life and am still grateful that I was.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

A double yolk duck egg!  The toast looks rosy because when I went to start a new pound of butter there wasn't one. :o But there was some tomato butter in my freezer. Don't need no nasty scrapple.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Home fries cooked in the last bit of duck fat, poached eggs and some of my dwindling supply of shishitos. Trying to keep the bad taste out of my mouth as I head off to vote.

My world has finally righted itself!  The Crystal sauce is back. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:10 AM, suzilightning said:

WHEN are you going to get the Cholula chili-lime hot sauce?????  Do you need me to bring some up to you?

In defference to @suzilightning, I did try the Cholula chili lime hot sauce. It's good. I definitly
can taste the chili tugging towards Mexico, but lime, not so much. Fresh lime flavor is an illusive
taste, that seems to only come from the freshly squeezed source (I call your attention to the bar
abomination called Rose's Lime Juice).
Anyway, if I were having breakfast at say, La Salsa Cantina in the Showcase mall in Las Vegas
(sipping a 99 cent bloody mary) , I would be all over it, but if I want a taste of the Big Easy,
and I do most mornings, it's back to Crystal for me. Just saying. Now, I know @rotuts will be bringing
up the green Tobasco, again, so I'll try that next.

Home fries, fried eggs and snow peas.

HC

IMG_0395.JPGIMG_0393.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

image.jpeg

Not much to say about this other than it exceeded expectations. But while I was preparing it all my neurons seemed to kick in at once and I reached a conclusion that most of you must've reached years and years ago.  If you want food that is even slightly photogenic don't do any of the prep on what ever you expect to serve it on!  Duh. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Toasted ciabatta, Cambazola cheese, cubes of roasted delicata squash, pickled red onion and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Want Cambazola but I have an excess of gifted cheese and feel the need to get through at least some of it before I splurge on anything else in the cheese line.  Love the idea of the delicata squash with it. And I seriously MUST make some pickled red onion. 

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Want Cambazola but I have an excess of gifted cheese and feel the need to get through at least some of it before I splurge on anything else in the cheese line.  Love the idea of the delicata squash with it. And I seriously MUST make some pickled red onion. 

I bought the Cambazola for those Gabrielle Hamilton celery cocktail toasts we both made.  Not one of my usual cheeses but it gets all buttery-melty on a piece of warm, toasted bread in the nicest way!  

That Elbow Lick Tomato Sandwich from Deep Run Roots called for a quick pickled red onion and I've been making tiny little amounts (a few thin slices of onion and just enough brine to cover) but I really should take the time for a bigger batch of the Zuni Café onions that you recommended.  A bit fiddly, but worth it.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

An invalid or nursery egg (soft boiled, smushed with some butter and salt) for days when one is feeling delicate as @liuzhou would say.  From the anaemic colour of the yolk I'm guessing the hen was also feeling pretty delicate.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog