• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

do you spray or butter the PR first ?

I buttered it.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/16/2016 at 3:43 PM, ProfessionalHobbit said:

There is definitely a marked difference between weekday eating and weekend eating at Casa Hobbit.

Like today's breakfast:

IMG_0051.JPG

5 leeks that have been cleaned and trimmed. Lay in a steamer basket set atop a pot filled to 1/4" depth with cold water.

Bring water to a boil, then steam the leeks in a covered pot for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Pre-heat oven to 325 F. Split the leeks in half and lay them side by side in a roasting pan or baking sheet. Season with salt, black pepper and olive oil. Roast leeks for 30 minutes.

IMG_0056.JPG

1 quart shelled cranberry beans with enough cold water to cover, a pinch each of salt and black pepper, and a couple of rosemary sprigs, and 2 tbsp. olive oil.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat so that the beans simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, then drain. Use half of the beans for the salad whose recipe follows, and reserve the remainder for another dish. Reserve the bean cooking broth if you like.

IMG_0060.JPG

Clockwise from upper right: 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil; 3 tbsp. julienned red onion in ice water; 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar; 3 tbsp. diced pancetta; 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley.

Let the red onion sit in the ice water bath for 5 minutes, then drain and reserve until needed.

IMG_0066.JPG

1 head radicchio, thinly sliced.

IMG_0080.JPG

Fry the pancetta until crisp. Drain, reserving 4 tbsp. pancetta drippings. Lay pancetta atop paper towels to drain off the fat.

IMG_0092.JPG

Combine radicchio with pancetta, cooked cranberry beans, red onion, red wine vinegar, pancetta drippings, extra-virgin olive oil and parsley. Taste for salt and black pepper, then serve immediately.

IMG_0100.JPG

Roasted leeks with fried egg and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, with radicchio, pancetta and cranberry bean salad.

WOW!!!!

• Like 1

A few little polenta squares, broiled until crispy, topped with roasted onions with sage and balsamic vinegar and thin shavings of Pecorino Romano

IMG_4145.jpg

I probably should have just shaved the cheese over top and left it instead of broiling as it all stuck together and was messy to eat.

I'd like this on greens, either raw or cooked, with a drizzle of the onion juices or some balsamic vinaigrette.   Should have thought of that.  Tasted good though.

• Like 6

@blue_dolphin

Once in my life I managed to make polenta of the appropriate consistency to later cut into squares and fry.  May I ask what proportion of liquid to cornmeal you are using? 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been using a 1:4 ratio of cornmeal to liquid.  In this case, it was .5 cup of Bob's Red Mill corn grits to 2 cups of water with the pot in pot IP method (thanks to you!).  I usually get a first meal of a bowl of soft, spoonable polenta and pour the rest out into a parchment lined pan and let it set up for a couple of hours before cutting it up.  

• Like 2

I know you didn't ask me but this is a pretty solid  formula.   I normally make my families recipe which is more of a polenta grassa  type recipe with milk , butter and wheatlets as well as corn meal . It changes these ratios slightly but  for straight up corn meal this works well. 

polenta calculation per 1 litre of water

300g cornmeal firm polenta
250g medium consistency
200g  loose consistency 

• Like 2

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

On November 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I've been using a 1:4 ratio of cornmeal to liquid.  In this case, it was .5 cup of Bob's Red Mill corn grits to 2 cups of water with the pot in pot IP method (thanks to you!).  I usually get a first meal of a bowl of soft, spoonable polenta and pour the rest out into a parchment lined pan and let it set up for a couple of hours before cutting it up.  

Thank you. Expect to be somewhat pre occupied with non-food related activities for a short time but will surely give it a try soon. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

photos aren't the greatest but this was tasty.. omelette with an aged cheddar beer sauce  made playing around with sodium citrate

rCQ62Bd.jpg

iM1GWd1.jpg

• Like 9

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Breakfast eggstravganza.....aka leftovers with a poached egg on top.  

IMG_4162.jpg

A few squares of broiled polenta with some of the spicy sausage, Tuscan kale (avert your eyes, kale-haters xD), leek, butternut squash filling I preped yesterday and a lopsided poached egg.  

• Like 9

image.jpeg

I sautéed two boneless, skinless chicken thighs for my dinner yesterday evening but ate only one of them. With some bread just taken out of the oven an hour before, half of the second thigh made a fine breakfast sandwich. I could have guzzied it up I suppose  but I was still in the mood for simplicity. I am sure I will get over it. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow!

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Never, ever become distracted when poaching eggs. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Sometimes it's about the bread (and the butter).  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Now that Thanks Giving is behind us. Xmas is on the doors, it is now time to put back the lost fat made obligatory for the summer swimming bodies.

This used to be a one way simple cookies and sweets and now this is degenerating into an international gluttony.

So, you need to prepare and/or purchase all these:

- Germany: Stollen

- Italy: Panettone

- France: Buche de Noel

- England: Xma's Pudding and Cognac Butter

- Xma's cookies (approx few trillions), Mince Pies

We have now placed an order for the Stollen and the Xmas Pudding.

The Buche de Noel will be made in house same with the German cookies and the Mince Pies.

For the pure sake of testing the tasting and in the Xmas spirit of being told off by my better half. Here are some pics of the Motta Panettone that we had this morning for Breakfast with German coffee.......as a dry run for Xmas :B

As a foot note:

- The Bauli Panettone was kept away for Xmas morning.

- The German Dinkel Stollen is for Xmas coffee time with the German Cookies

- The Buche de Noel is for Xmas lunch

- The Xmas Pudding is for a flambee whenever we remember

Here is today's Motta Panettone, soft and fluffy and laden with raisins, candied fruits.......

_MG_3769_zpslo1hdeoz.jpg

_MG_3776_zpsa4gxlihl.jpg

_MG_3784_zpslz23c9ox.jpg

• Like 7

image.jpeg

A somewhat untraditional interpretation of agedashi tofu (no daikon but lots of watermelon radish). 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Almost instant roasted squash soup from fridge contents:  leftover roasted butternut squash, roasted onions with sage, a small clove of confit garlic, a bit of roasted red pepper from a jar.  

IMG_4169.jpg

Not shown are the last of a bag of frozen chicken stock, a little water and a squirt of sriracha.

IMG_4172.jpg

Served with a dollop of sour cream.  Should have thought to thaw out one of those little loaves of roasted onion and sage quick bread.  Only so much thinking I can do before breakfast xD and the toast was nice!

• Like 11

@liuzhou

Hmmm.  "Bed bread".  Rather glad I followed your link. Reassured me that we were not going to need any "viewer discretion is advised" warnings before reading posts. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog