• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:31 AM, Anna N said:

Just to be sure credit where it is due --  those are Gabrielle's words. But I loved them too. 

Or as Jeff Mauro says of anything spread on a sandwich - "Crust to crust is a must"

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Or as Jeff Mauro says of anything spread on a sandwich - "Crust to crust is a must"

Thanks O.o  Now I will never get it out of my head again!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Breakfast this morning was the result of a large serving of Serendipity.  Leftover rice from the restaurant meal yesterday, a beautiful new chef's knife (a gift) that needed to be broken in and some duck eggs (also a gift) that I was anxious to make good use of.  So bacon and egg fried rice. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What is making it red? Tomato?

Yes, this duck was initially a Korean BBQ duck and as a result, the broth was dark. I have found that by adding tomato to this type of broth, as well as to smoked chicken and duck broth, it mellows it out to a pleasant tasting soup. So, I added some of the tomato sauce from my garden tomatoes that I had in the freezer.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

image.jpeg

Saturday morning may get better than this but very rarely.   That is a fresh duck egg.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

some scapple  ( properly sliced and cooked ) would go well with that egg .

Oh rotuts!   A root canal would be more appealing.  

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast took a different turn this morning as I was looking in the fridge for what can I do with what's there.   I had opened a can of piquillo peppers yesterday that was found in the back of the pantry, while doing a clean out, that I didn't know I had.  They stilled looked good so in to the fridge they went.  Wasn't sure how I was going to use them but now seemed like a good a time as any.  Grab some hot pepper jelly and a can of Valbreso feta and stuffed those peppers.  Also saw some fresh string beans that I had bought that hadn't gotten used so grabbed some of those too and shaved them thin.  A sharp knife is a wonderful thing!

The beans were cooked in olive oil on a low fire followed by the stuffed peppers.  I get the biggest cooking thrill from making stuff off the cuff  that turns out well.  Probably why I do that most often.  It's like "hey that worked"!  

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Sunday Breakfast.  Scones with Strawberry jam & cream.  Some with just butter also.

I haven't made these for quite some time.  Not sure what inspired me but I knew I wanted them Saturday afternoon.

IMG_20161106_074033.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Sunday Breakfast.  Scones with Strawberry jam & cream.  Some with just butter also.

I haven't made these for quite some time.  Not sure what inspired me but I knew I wanted them Saturday afternoon.

IMG_20161106_074033.jpg

Here in the American South, we'd call those biscuits. And they look like fine ones.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Asian-inspired duck egg and tomatoes. (A house without toasted sesame oil is a sad, sad abode.)

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Asian-inspired duck egg and tomatoes. (A house without toasted sesame oil is a sad, sad abode.)

There ARE such abodes? The horror!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I say the presence of fresh duck eggs suggests you need to delete one "sad" from that abode rating. xD

Small slice of toasted multigrain bread with vanilla pecan butter and sliced apple.  More apple & pecan butter for dipping.

IMG_4096.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/31/2016 at 8:47 AM, blue_dolphin said:

It's been said here many times, but I'll say it again:  lucky, lucky Moe!

My breakfast - multigrain toast, nice ripe Brie and some of my pyracantha jelly (that failed to set and is more appropriately a pyracantha syrup):

IMG_4029.jpg

Set or not, it does go very nicely with the cheese!

What?!?  - you mean those berries that are starting to redden up in So Cal in time for Christmas? Details please :)