• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Celery toast from Gabrielle Hamilton (Prune) via NYT. Toasted pullman bread generously buttered "wall to wall", then slices of cambozola all topped with a mini salad of celery, scallions, garlic, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. An interesting combination of tastes and textures. I did not have cambozola but did have another even more interesting blue cheese. Unfortunately even though my lemon was fresh it definitely lacked the required gene for lemoniness. Wow was it lacking! 

Sounds interesting.

Must remember the line "generously buttered wall to wall"!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

43 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Sounds interesting.

Must remember the line "generously buttered wall to wall"!

Just to be sure credit where it is due --  those are Gabrielle's words. But I loved them too. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

WHEN are you going to get the Cholula chili-lime hot sauce?????  Do you need me to bring some up to you?

I got turned on to the regular Cholula hot sauce several years ago at a breakfast place in Las Vegas and was it my go to hot sauce for a while, but now it's Crystal. The next time I see the chili lime, I will try it. No promises, though.

This was yesterday:

IMG_0275.JPG

Top:  eggs benedict, home fries

Bottom:  cornmeal buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup, two eggs overeasy, sausage, bacon and home fries.

Total for $25.  More like $35 (added in the prices for hot chocolate, coffee, tax and tip) but still relatively inexpensive given the food prices in San Francisco.

Kate's Kitchen

471 Haight Street (Fillmore Street)

Lower Haight

and this was today:

IMG_0318.JPG

Insalata cruda e cotta ("salad of raw and cooked vegetables"), served with leftover tonno sott'olio ("tuna preserved in olive oil with herbs and spices") and hard-cooked egg.

Edited by ProfessionalHobbit (log)
  • Like 9

It's been said here many times, but I'll say it again:  lucky, lucky Moe!

My breakfast - multigrain toast, nice ripe Brie and some of my pyracantha jelly (that failed to set and is more appropriately a pyracantha syrup):

IMG_4029.jpg

Set or not, it does go very nicely with the cheese!

• Like 12

I am afraid that some of you green pepper haters (and you know who you are) will have to avert your eyes, as this post includes the dreaded enemy, but I have to remain true to my own taste. Home fries (cooked in duck fat), poached eggs and the dreaded green monsters with onions, a comfort food to me.

HC

IMG_0333.JPGIMG_0331.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6

I hate green peppers. I may even hate green peppers more than rotuts.  My hatred for them knows no bounds but I was comforted to see the Crystal sauce had returned.  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I hate green peppers. I may even hate green peppers more than rotuts.  My hatred for them knows no bounds but I was comforted to see the Crystal sauce had returned.  

@Anna N, are you saying that you hate green peppers even more than you hate @rotuts?

xD  I know the answer.  Just had to ask xD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Anna N, are you saying that you hate green peppers even more than you hate @rotuts?

xD  I know the answer.  Just had to ask 

Damn.   But I trust rotuts knows what I meant to say!  I hate green peppers even more than rotuts hates green peppers! 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Toast with home made bread, goat cheese and apple-blackberry jelly. Something so damn virtuous about saying "home made".

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

I love green bells.  No eye aversion happening here :) 

Y'all can have my share of all the ones in the world.

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ditto what @Shelby said.  Green peppers + onions + potatoes + eggs = YUM and the duck fat raises it to another level entirely!

Well, and you, too.

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I knew y'all were kindred spirits with me.

I can pick them out and ignore them if they have not polluted the dish too badly.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Egg on multigrain with a very tasty cocktail tomato. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog