• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Homemade "chevre" - care to share how you do that ?

Hmmmmm. My friend made it from goat's milk but I am not sure of the recipe she used. I will see if she will share. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Ann_T, good to see you and your beautiful breakfast photos back on the thread.  I'm glad to see that Moe is not going hungry these days :D!

Sunchoke pilot 2.  Two chokes, roasted with olive oil and rosemary.  Scrambled eggs and pretty pineapple tomato from the farmers market.

IMG_3981.jpg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hmmmmm. My friend made it from goat's milk but I am not sure of the recipe she used. I will see if she will share. 

Essentially you take goats milk - heat it to around 74º F - add a bit of rennet (I used the junket tablets), a bit of culture (you could use some buttermilk) and let sit for 18 to 24 hours. You want the pH to get to 4.7 or so (you can test with pH paper or if you happen to have a meter...), strain through cheesecloth overnight.

• Like 2

I realise that it is a revolutionary concept and may be shocking for some people, but for breakfast this morning I poached an egg. A duck's egg, as it happens. And served it on buttered toast.

I had a few leftover asparagus tips, so they went on the side to make the pictures more colourful.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Essentially you take goats milk - heat it to around 74º F - add a bit of rennet (I used the junket tablets), a bit of culture (you could use some buttermilk) and let sit for 18 to 24 hours. You want the pH to get to 4.7 or so (you can test with pH paper or if you happen to have a meter...), strain through cheesecloth overnight.

Thanks, sounds straightforward...

Will bring some rennet from my next trip to Germany and then start production!

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I realise that it is a revolutionary concept and may be shocking for some people, but for breakfast this morning I poached an egg. A duck's egg, as it happens. And served it on buttered toast.

I had a few leftover asparagus tips, so they went on the side to make the pictures more colourful.

Not sure I'm prepared to let you have your revolutionary argument about the egg on toast but those asparagus tips – – now them's fighting words.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@HungryChris  

it immediately struck me that something was missing , above breakfast  

the balance was off somehow   then it came to me :

table.jpg

it should have been right here   ( R land above the plate )

the Hot Sauce  !

I occasionally use some myself  but prefer green.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

it immediately struck me that something was missing , above breakfast  

the balance was off somehow   then it came to me :

table.jpg

it should have been right here   ( R land above the plate )

the Hot Sauce  !

I occasionally use some myself  but prefer green.

OK, guilty, as charged. I must admit that Crystal Hot Sauce does grace the landscape of many of my breakfasts. Many, but not all.

HC

• Like 1

image.jpg

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks Blue_Dolphin.

Love the perfectly poached eggs.    

Bratwurst and sauerkraut for breakfast October 28th, 2016 2.jpg

Moe's breakfast - yesterday - Bratwurst with sauerkraut. 

Butter basted eggs with filet October 29th, 2016.jpg

I had a leftover filet from last night's dinner so I made Moe steak and buttered basted eggs this morning.

Toasted baguette.

Bratwurst mit Sauerkraut - the breakfast for Champions. Moe sure is a lucky guy ...

• Like 5

image.jpeg

Celery toast from Gabrielle Hamilton (Prune) via NYT. Toasted pullman bread generously buttered "wall to wall", then slices of cambozola all topped with a mini salad of celery, scallions, garlic, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. An interesting combination of tastes and textures. I did not have cambozola but did have another even more interesting blue cheese. Unfortunately even though my lemon was fresh it definitely lacked the required gene for lemoniness. Wow was it lacking! image.jpeg

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Warmed up piece of apple pie brought back from down the shore at Clinton Conover Farms(and I HIGHLY recommend this pie) with some cubes of 7 year Canadian cheddar.  There is nothing better for a fall breakfast - but I guess that's my eastern Long Island/New England background.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Pork chop, scrambled eggs, left over biscuit.  We try to eat only two meals on weekends, hearty breakfast and early dinner (or late lunch). 

image.jpg

Or second breakfast?

(as anyone familiar with Lord of the Rings will recognize)

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Unfortunately even though my lemon was fresh it definitely lacked the required gene for lemoniness. Wow was it lacking! 

Citrus is so curious that way!  The lemon I used for this last night was super, super tart and with no quantities given (other than it should be "wet") I was rather generous with it so my celery salad tasted almost like a quick pickle xD!  It worked well with the super buttery Cambazola and I enjoyed the contrasts in texture and flavor.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:13 AM, HungryChris said:

OK, guilty, as charged. I must admit that Crystal Hot Sauce does grace the landscape of many of my breakfasts. Many, but not all.

HC

WHEN are you going to get the Cholula chili-lime hot sauce?????  Do you need me to bring some up to you?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Citrus is so curious that way!  The lemon I used for this last night was super, super tart and with no quantities given (other than it should be "wet") I was rather generous with it so my celery salad tasted almost like a quick pickle xD!  It worked well with the super buttery Cambazola and I enjoyed the contrasts in texture and flavor.

It definitely underlines the mantra "taste as you go".  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog