• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction? Pro-style gas? Please help!!!

teapot

3 hours ago, weedy said:

Getting an induction range. And using it. 

It has all the variability with better control. 

Better control? That’s interesting... genuinely intrigued to know more. 

How many steps from min min to max does it take for induction to get close to the controllability of gas? All the units I’ve used (even the expensive ones) have had 1-10 settings which is a really struggle. Does yours have more? What’s needed? 1-20? 1-50? More? 

What does your range have in terms of automatic functions? Does it turn down or off when it thinks it should or can you keep it cranked up till you burn and destroy things?

I ask all this just because I’d be really interested in an induction unit which let me do what I want, is there such a thing??

You can definitely cremate things. 

If anythting I need to err in the lower side than I ‘expect’ unless I’m going for maximum wallop (such as boiling water)

Mine has 20 steps plus a Max turbo boost for a total of 21. 

Thats REALLY more fine control than a gas flame in any PRACTICAL sense, even if that flame is technically infinitely variable. 

And,  the same pot set a 4.5 is going to behave the same way EVERY time. That’s not really true with gas either. 

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

If they'd make an induction range with a gas flame that'd be perfect for me.

Like the Samsung that has little faux flame lights on the side of the pot edges to show you how high you’ve set the ‘flame’?

• Like 1

I bought a GE Cafe 995CHSELSS back in May. 

I ******* love it. Double ovens that have plenty of room and the induction knobs are VARIABLE CONTROL. No 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, etc. All slight or not so slight adjustments made with a turn of a knob. The largest burner is 3700 watts on Hi and that equates to just under 27,000 BTUs. When I boil water I have it on Hi but then have to turn it down to 8 as the water starts to boil over (!). Then when I blanch vegetables or add pasta I turn it back to Hi and it doesn’t lose its boil.

I can’t recommend it enough. Was 100% all in on a Blue Star 36” 6 burner stove but a few kitchen logistical things got in the way and I think I’m happier for it. 

I did not read the entire post so forgive me if I am sharing things that have already been mentioned or am off topic, but I wanted to share my experience. Would be glad to answer any questions. 

Edit: Also, the knobs are in front, not above the burners and in the back!

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 3

On 10/8/2018 at 10:14 PM, teapot said:

He put our large stockpot on the big burner and it fried half the motherboard.  It turns out that the stockpot's bottom was only magnetic in the middle and not at the outer edges.  BIG LESSON!

This has me wondering if it is possible to use a griddle that spans 2 burners on an induction - or a roasting pan.  Are you good as long as both elements are fully covered?

My induction has two bridge burners that can be set to act together for griddles and roasting pans.  It's a feature I rarely use because I don't have the right pans. I did however have good luck using a restaurant-grade 1/2 sheet pan on them (I roasted a spatchcocked turkey on it and then made gravy on the pan -- worked well).  

Anyway,  I would hate to venture an answer to your question based on my limited experience  -- hoping someone else will.

• Like 1