• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction? Pro-style gas? Please help!!!

teapot

5 hours ago, dcarch said:

There can be a big difference between the two.

Let say both are 1,000 watts. All the 1,000 watts from the induction will go into heating up the  cookware.

With resistance heating element, 1/2 of the 1,000 watts is wasted into radiant heat in heating up your kitchen instead of the cookware.

dcarch

One of the problems is finding a good grade of electric coil any more...  I have a 1950's GE Airliner in one of my houses that I really like. Dig the thermowell in the upper left...

GE 1950 home.jpg

Airliner.jpg

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1

will do.

one GOOD thing I can say about dealing with Sears, is I bought it in store on a Monday night and it's due to be installed on Weds. (tomorrow).

can't whinge about that, assuming it happens as promised.

• Like 2

Well today the contracted delivery/install company called and said they have me scheduled for next Tues. 

needless to say I told them I'd been promised tomorrow. They were less than accommodating. 

I rang the salesman at Sears and threw a minor fit. He actually had the balls to say that when he, and the computer, said delivery in the 18th they meant to THEM. and that when he said "the delivery people will calll the day before to give you a two hour window" that should mean a week delay was possible and that he was "sorry if he wasn't clear"

Well to me it WAS clear that my receipt said delivery on 18th and I wasn't having it. 

After speaking to his Mgr they are promisInto to deliver "Thursday or Friday" 

we shall see. 

But this has naturally not given me warm feelings about future dealings with sears. Now I just hope to not get a problematic unit as their problem solving abilities are questionable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, weedy said:

will do.

one GOOD thing I can say about dealing with Sears, is I bought it in store on a Monday night and it's due to be installed on Weds. (tomorrow).

can't whinge about that, assuming it happens as promised.

Sears should still be in business by then. So good for you!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, weedy said:

Well today the contracted delivery/install company called and said they have me scheduled for next Tues. 

needless to say I told them I'd been promised tomorrow. They were less than accommodating. 

I rang the salesman at Sears and threw a minor fit. He actually had the balls to say that when he, and the computer, said delivery in the 18th they meant to THEM. and that when he said "the delivery people will calll the day before to give you a two hour window" that should mean a week delay was possible and that he was "sorry if he wasn't clear"

Well to me it WAS clear that my receipt said delivery on 18th and I wasn't having it. 

After speaking to his Mgr they are promisInto to deliver "Thursday or Friday" 

we shall see. 

But this has naturally not given me warm feelings about future dealings with sears. Now I just hope to not get a problematic unit as their problem solving abilities are questionable. 

Thank God for Poptarts and potato chips...

after much complaining and escalating, they've given me a delivery date of tomorrow (only 1 day "late" versus original promise), so again, we shall see!

but it reinforced my decision to NOT take a Sears extended warranty.

They're not the people I want to entrust with service, should it come to that.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 1:44 PM, dcarch said:

The products are currently produced by manufacturers such as WhirlpoolGEPanasonicSanyoLGBoschElectrolux, and Mabe Mexico

dcarch

Who Made What? for Kenmore

Kenmore model numbers usually have a 3 digit prefix followed by a decimal point that identifies the manufacturer.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 1/16/2017 at 8:53 PM, IANSTUART said:

As for relying upon Consumer Reports, forget it. Their rating of products is based upon their bells and whistles but not (to my consternation) their reliability?

Consumer Reports does provide information about reliability, albeit in a limited way, and not as an integral part of their rankings.

Also, some ratings are indeed more "bells and whistles" oriented, but many are based on salient features. For example, the one for bottom-freezer refrigerators, which I've been consulting of late, appears to rely most heavily on temperature performance and uniformity, with energy efficiency, noise, and "ease of use" somewhat less so.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

10 hours ago, weedy said:

Just to follow up: they came today as promised and installed without issue.

so far so good!

although I'm now going through the 'which pots and pans will work well' dance!

Yes. I find that some pans that ought to work, they seem to meet all the right specifications, and yet they are not optimally effective.   It's a puzzlement.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

53 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

any idea if that variation has to do with the thickness of the magnetic bottom ?

It's a puzzlement.  Could be related to size, composition, grade of steel. No idea. Some work but seem to be very touchy about getting them right in the centre of the circle. Just got rid of one of those.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, palo said:

And its composition.

p

It has virtually nothing to do with the thickness of the magnetic layer.  It has mostly to do with the alloy(s) employed.  And it can be model-specific because of the detection/protection circuits (e.g., older Wolf models wouldn't work with Le Creuset ECI, despite the fact that LC works with almost every other line).

Before taking the plunge, $$ and above induction buyers should take a sampling of their pans to a showroom for a test drive.  Or 10.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

It has virtually nothing to do with the thickness of the magnetic layer.  It has mostly to do with the alloy(s) employed.  And it can be model-specific because of the detection/protection circuits (e.g., older Wolf models wouldn't work with Le Creuset ECI, despite the fact that LC works with almost every other line).

Before taking the plunge, $$ and above induction buyers should take a sampling of their pans to a showroom for a test drive.  Or 10.  

I tend to think that is a bit overkill. I have had three different portable units and my current range and only the odd pot  has proved to be persnickety.  For the most part if the base of the pan will grab a magnet then will likely work.  The pot I just got rid of  had a disk base and for some reason it only  worked when dead centre.   Most of my pots are thrift store finds and are all over the place in terms of brands.   Unless your batterie de cuisine is primarily non-stainless steel/steel/cast iron I doubt you're going to run into too many problems. One's mileage may vary of course. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree with Anna N. I have never had any problems with any utensils that hold a magnet. And it is not a question of "alloys". As long as the pots and pans will hold a magnet there will be enough eddy currents to heat them. I have found that le Creuset and imitations as well as cast iron pots and pans work perfectly with all of my induction devices. As I have mentioned earlier, people have been using induction cooktops for generations in Europe and I have never heard of anybody having problems. It is certainly not a new technology,

42 minutes ago, IANSTUART said:

I agree with Anna N. I have never had any problems with any utensils that hold a magnet. And it is not a question of "alloys". As long as the pots and pans will hold a magnet there will be enough eddy currents to heat them. I have found that le Creuset and imitations as well as cast iron pots and pans work perfectly with all of my induction devices. As I have mentioned earlier, and I have never heard of anybody having problems. It is certainly not a new technology,

Then explain the Wolf/Le Creuset phenomenon.  And why nickel-lined pans (which "grab" a magnet) do not work.

It surely is an issue with alloys, as some ferritic steels perform better than others--even though some "grab", and some do not.  The stainless alloy known as 430 is the default choice among manufacturers or both performance and detection.  A magnet test is only grossly useful.  And again, how well somethin "works" can be model specific.

As for "generations" of happy Euro induction users, all I can say is that I'd be fascinated to learn when you think the first home induction appliances were sold in Europe.  My understanding is that the first home unit actually sold anywhere were the Kenmore Model Number 103.9647910 introduced in the 1980s (and first in the US).    So "generations" is a bit of an exaggeration, and I can assure you not all Europeans are thrilled to be steered away from gas.  

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1