• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

I have a Kenmore Elite range at my house in Calgary, and two Polyscience Control Freaks (got the first one because I was living in a basement suite in BC, and the second one because I was impressed). Just recently procured the latter but I've been cooking on the Kenmore for the past 2 years and wouldn't go back (to electric in my case).

The speed for boiling water is a huge plus for me. I don't have much experience with gas, but my experience with electric is that it takes forever. Of course it's all relative, but I can get a pot of water boiling in minutes on my Kenmore where it could take 15+ minutes on an electric.

Responsiveness. If I want to bring down the heat, I just lower the setting and tada, it instantly changes.

Even heating (with proper cookware); mind you I was cooking on coil tops and not flat ceramic electric.

The Kenmore has knobs and I agree that touch controls don't really belong in the kitchen. I like the tactileness and feel of a knob. I also don't like controlling things with my phone (as I discovered with the Tasty One Top). 

I've come across cheap portable induction units that are only good for boiling water (too much of a temperature range between settings).... so it could just be that you haven't tried one you like? The Kenmore has 20 settings which I found to be enough until I came across the Control Freak (haha)

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

I have a Kenmore Elite range, and two Polyscience Control Freaks. Just recently procured the latter but I've been cooking on the Kenmore for the past 2 years and wouldn't go back (to electric in my case).

The speed for boiling water is a huge plus for me. I don't have much experience with gas, but my experience with electric is that it takes forever. Of course it's all relative, but I can get a pot of water boiling in minutes on my Kenmore where it could take 15+ minutes on an electric.

Responsiveness. If I want to bring down the heat, I just lower the setting and tada, it instantly changes.

Even heating (with proper cookware); mind you I was cooking on coil tops and not flat ceramic electric.

The Kenmore has knobs and I agree that touch controls don't really belong in the kitchen. I like the tactileness and feel of a knob. I also don't like controlling things with my phone (as I discovered with the Tasty One Top). 

I've come across cheap portable induction units that are only good for boiling water (too much of a temperature range between settings).... so it could just be that you haven't tried one you like? The Kenmore has 20 settings which I found to be enough until I came across the Control Freak (haha)