• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

Today, my husband and I stopped for lunch at the Los Cucos Mexican Cafe in Friendswood.

IMG_0054.JPG

He had the Pork Tacos - two corn tortillas filled with pork carnitas mixed with onions, peppers and cilantro; served with refried beans, Mexican rice and salsa verde.

IMG_0055.JPG

I had the Tacos Plazeros - one each beef fajita and pork carnitas in corn tortillas topped with grilled onions, queso fresco, cilantro and avocado; served with borracho beans, pickled vegetables, pico de gallo and salsa verde.

IMG_0056.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 7

image.jpeg

Not sure if this actually qualifies as a toastie. But that's what it is. I caramelized some onions over a couple of hours, put some serious colour on some mushrooms, toasted a slice of homemade white bread and then sliced some cheddar cheese on top before slipping it under the broiler for a minute or two.  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 04/11/2016 at 10:42 AM, sartoric said:

oyster bay Sauvignon Blanc.

I love that wine. And Ninth Island wines.  Great Pinot Noir  there also.

IMG_20161106_132703.jpg

This was my Sunday lunch

Edited by Captain (log)
  • Like 6

On 11/2/2016 at 5:02 PM, BeeZee said:

. It's fun when I have to go in to Center City, I can map out all the places to stop along the way for my treats.

Me too. I had lunch Sat at Cheu. Really good.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Me too. I had lunch Sat at Cheu. Really good.

When I'm in Center City (unfortunately, not for a long time now), I always had to go to that cheesesteak place just off Rittenhouse Square (on South St.? I forget my Philly geography). But my favorite meal -- perhaps my best (Italian) meal ever -- remains the homemade ravioli and meatballs at Villa di Roma on Ninth. If a meatball can be sublime, these were sublime. Hell, no "if" to it. These suckers were sublime.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

When I'm in Center City (unfortunately, not for a long time now), I always had to go to that cheesesteak place just off Rittenhouse Square (on South St.? I forget my Philly geography). But my favorite meal -- perhaps my best (Italian) meal ever -- remains the homemade ravioli and meatballs at Villa di Roma on Ninth. If a meatball can be sublime, these were sublime. Hell, no "if" to it. These suckers were sublime.

Rittenhouse Sq is a ways from South St. I bet you are thinking of Jim's which is right on South St.

So many great places, holes-in-the-wall to serious joints, in Philly. Villa de Roma is a good old red gravy place.

Philly has two Iron Chefs (Garzas and Morimoto)  and two Top Chef winners (Sbraga and Elmi) who are pretty much cooking in their restaurants  (exc Morimoto who isn't there much). And more than a few young hotshots. Great place to feed.

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Rittenhouse Sq is a ways from South St. I bet you are thinking of Jim's which is right on South St.

So many great places, holes-in-the-wall to serious joints, in Philly. Villa de Roma is a good old red gravy place.

Philly has two Iron Chefs (Garzas and Morimoto)  and two Top Chef winners (Sbraga and Elmi) who are pretty much cooking in their restaurants  (exc Morimoto who isn't there much). And more than a few young hotshots. Great place to feed.

Have eaten at Morimoto's. Very good. I loved the dessert presentation of three scoops of  sorbet on a slab of ice with three "dimples" in it to hold the sorbet. Never managed to make it to Le Bec Fin. However, the best German food I ever ate was at the Austrian Village in Huntingdon Valley.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Tripe soup from Adam's Polish Food in Vernon, CT. The first time I was in the store the tripe soup was just being put in the case, still hot from the stove. Both the staff and other customers treated it with such obvious reverence, that I was intrigued. I had to try it! Now I try and get some every time we find ourselves in the area.

HC

IMG_0379.JPG

• Like 5

Nice lunch at Kikusan, a Japanese fusion restaurant in the Landmark building in Central.

I opted for cold tofu with avocado, miso-marinated cod and a sushi sampler. Oolong tea.

Will go there again ...

WP_20161108_12_02_04_Rich.jpg

WP_20161108_12_02_42_Rich.jpg

WP_20161108_12_06_00_Rich.jpg

• Like 7

The Salad I did not have with Dinner last night was today's Lunch, with some of this morning's bacon added.

IMG_0061.JPG

A mix of romaine and baby greens with chopped hard cooked egg, sliced button mushrooms, ripe black olives, roma tomato, shredded cheese, the bacon, slivered almonds and crunchies with a honey mustard dressing.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8

Iimage.jpeg

Lleftovers reheated and somewhat transformed. I hit the sweet potato purée with a healthy dose of allspice  and I cut up and trimmed some more of the pork roast.  Had I not been quite so hungry I might've made it a little prettier but it was my stomach that needed attention and I was not about to eat this with my eyes. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

^^ East beats West!

From my food hell at the far reaches of north western Europe:

hVWtdae.jpg

Ngobc3m.jpg

Black radish. In the sake cup is pink salt and Turkish Isot Biber (smoked pepper flakes).

8l2jNas.jpg

Cured for 4 days, left to dry in the fridge for another 5. Smoked for a bit. Fan.bloody.tastic!

o647gCn.jpg

Any longer would be a bit dry. This is still moist and the way I like it. There are juniper berries in the cure. I used a bit of orange pekoe tea, Sichuan peppercorns and mesquite chips for smoking.

9Eavz8R.jpg

• Like 12

No photo but lunch was appropriately heavenly for Sunday. A slice of rustic bread topped with this blue cheese.  I am very fortunate to have a friend who does not particularly like blue cheeses but manages to bring me gifts of some amazing ones. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am very fortunate to have a friend who does not particularly like blue cheeses but manages to bring me gifts of some amazing ones. 

I wish I had such a friend! ;)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Lunch today was one of my better efforts. I had cured a salmon filet per Kenji's gravlax recipe (with coriander and dill). With deviled eggs and silver-dollar-sized latkes.

latkes n gravlax.jpg

Some of the latkes got apple butter, instead.

Not shown is the mustard dill sauce for the gravlax.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.