• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

10 minutes ago, shain said:

Ptitim (Israeli couscous) with stir fried cabbage and peppers, scallions, a little anis, a little cumin, chili and a few herbs.

Gotta get me some more Israeli couscous. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fasole cu ceapa calita - Romanian style bean spread with carmelized onion in paprika.
The spread is flavored with sauteed vegetables, parsley and a little butter.

20170124_204208.jpg20170124_204505.jpg

The reddish tint of the paste is due to me using half red beans and half navy beans.

PS - Sorry Anna, I promise no more pastes in the near future.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8

~ Shai N.

@shain

Phew. Thought I might have to start blocking your posts!  (Don't tell the others but I am ALWAYS glad to celebrate our differences) just not with beany things.xD

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

No photos. The last of the holiday pickled herring on multigrain, washed down by two glasses of Akvavit and followed by a long nap. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Hard boiled eggs with some quark, chives and seasoning.

fMzsS2c.jpg

Plate. (Yellow stuff: before and after.)

2K6iCjS.jpg

---

Australian and Swiss natives...

fZ5bAAs.jpg

I like my paste a bit coarse.

pr0TF1O.jpg

Make a batch sometimes. No sugar, pure chocolate and I like macadamia kernels. The entire pot is already gone (just made it yesterday...).TO1C0SX.jpg

• Like 11

Being Chinese New Year, we had savory tang yuen with daikon, Chinese sausage, dried baby shrimp, pork, bak choy leaves, and cilantro. Dipped the glutinous dumplings in soy sauce, sesame oil, and black and white pepper.

Tong Yuen0006.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

remnants of clean out the freezer challenge + leftovers...some mushroom/lentil soup, added some cooked swiss chard, tore up leftover cooked turkey and heated the whole lot up. Pretty tasty except for the last drop I got when tilting the container into my mouth, must have had some leftover grit from the swiss chard as well.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

image.jpeg

lunch was as simple as breakfast today.  Jarlsberg cheese barely melted on an English muffin. I wanted it to be more complex but couldn't find my pimenton.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

After what felt like weeks of rain, followed by several days of chilly temps, caped off by more days of ferocious winds, we have a brilliantly sunny Monday with 80+ deg temps.  Following the spirit, if not the letter, of the freezer clean out challenge, I had 2 popsicles for lunch.  Plutot and tarragon followed by Thomcord grape and port.  

• Like 7

leftover bison burger chopped up with some spicy bread and butter pickles, minced onion, sautéed red and yellow peppers and some bbq sauce on a slider bun.

simple mixed green salad on the side

dessert was a mix of red grapes, blood orange slices and a white balsamic vinaigrette.....

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Turkey Sandwich :  CSB'd turkey , etc

TS PF.jpg

made with this bread :

FM 12grain.jpg

a few weeks ago I made a similar sandwich with Arnold's multigrain bread.  I didn't care for that bread.  it was quite dry.

this loaf was much better , and what I was thinking about at the time a few weeks ago.  some of the grains are in the bread itself.

as i recall , the Arnolds version had then on the crust.  don't quite me on that , but that's what I recall.

the loaf was much moister and fresher.  I took the time to get a loaf from the back , where the fresher loafs reside.

if you want this sort of bread for a sandwich , consider PF's 12 G's

you know what I mean  a little softer side , a little sweet , 12 grains ( probably ) to assuage your guilt.

suprise.gif

I did forget to pick up some of those hot italian flavored pickles

also missing here for those w EagleEyes : Tot's

as Im currently on the Freezer Clean Out , no Tot's for a while ...

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7