• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

53 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I love freeken.  The texture is what really makes it good.  Dried mushrooms with it is something I need to try.

I liked this combination a lot.  Cooked in Instant pot high pressure 20 minutes after soaking separately for a few hours.  The reason for separate soaking is the need to clean dirt that can be present on mushrooms.  Now I also have a lovely broth that will be used in making of onion soup inspired by @Anna N

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I love freeken.  The texture is what really makes it good.  Dried mushrooms with it is something I need to try.

We eat a lot of it, too, but I haven't seen it here in whole-kernel form. Bulk Barn and Superstore carry it in a cracked version.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The most "local" one I know of is in Fredericton, an hour or so away depending on the roads. For now, I'm perfectly happy with the cracked variety. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I love freeken.

Please tell me you meant 'freekeh'. I went searching for 'freeken' thinking I'd missed some wonderful ingredient I hadn't previously encountered. And as my real name is Ken, I thought I'd like some free!

Not that I've eaten freekeh, either. :|

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Freeken: (v.) 1. The act of cooking freekeh. 2. A reaction to badly cooked freekeh. :P

• Like 3

image.jpeg

Same as last night's dinner. Rustic potato, parsnip and carrot mash with some bacon. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Constantly amazed at the delicious wonders I can rummage up from the bowels of my freezer and the back of my pantry..how's this for a working from home lunch - fat, sweet, raw Hokkaido scallops, on warm vinegary sushi rice, with fresh, REAL wasabi root smeared underneath, and toasted marinated seaweed to wrap each one in and eat like a taco.

sushi.jpg

• Like 10

18 hours ago, HungryChris said:

These Chesapeake Bay littlenecks made me happy as a clam.

Learning there's a clam species called the "incongruous ark" made me as happy as a clam. 

• Like 2

@rotuts

Looks VERY tasty...except of course for the turkey.:oxD

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Chuck eye on multigrain with a cup of tomato-onion soup with grated cheese. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

there is something unique about Soup'N'Sandwich.

even better it is if the bread has  " Good Crumb "

everything I see above fills this Bill.

however , it seems TurkeyNonLovers use a Mug.  not the end of the world.

Soup is alway better in a Bowl.

suprise.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Short time to eat after getting home from work for a lunch break.   Had some small pieces of steelhead trout that I seared a few nights ago.   Chopped it up and used it to fill some Cuban bread I toasted.  Arugula gave it some more color and a peppery bite 

• Like 7

With the Spring Festival due to start on Saturday with Chinese New Year, a lot of the smaller restaurants I like to eat in are already closing down to let staff head home, but I found one noodle joint at lunch time and there I went.

红烧牛肉面2.jpg

红烧牛肉刀削面 - hóng shāo niú ròu dāo xuē miàn (Red Cooked Beef "Knife Cut" Noodles). I went for the extra chilli option.

红烧牛肉面.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_0200.JPG

In the time it took my husband to drive the short distance to Kroger and get back with the Fried Chicken, I made the mashed potatoes, gravy and peas! :D Very satisfying lunch. Leftover chicken will be what's for dinner tonight.

IMG_0201.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9