• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

image.jpg

Toasted English muffin, leftover duck and watercress dressed with a little maple vinegar and some pickled red onion on the side.   And yes that is a glass of wine because I can. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

While eating breakfast of fish salad on a bagel I was thinking of lunch and what could I make with what's in the fridge.  

A caponata came to mind looking at a couple eggplants on the counter.  Had enough other ingredients to make it happen.  Whipped it up while still eating breakfast and it made a dandy lunch  when my wife and I returned from checking out the construction of her new office.  Why don't I make this more often?

image.jpeg

• Like 9

My husband and I had planned to go to one of our local favorites for a late lunch today, but while I was surfing on the net I found another place close to us that we had not tried before. So, we lunched at the Nobi Public House in Webster. They specialize in craft beers and serve Vietnamese-fusion cuisine. We will go back!

IMG_0103.JPG

Butter Garlic Wings with two dipping sauces - Sweet Chili Sauce and Sriracha Mayo

IMG_0102.JPG

Grilled Pork Fried Rice

IMG_0101.JPG

Grilled Pork Salad with their Signature Chili Vinaigrette

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 10

image.jpeg

Chicken congee with an egg that almost, almost arrived intact on its carefully prepared landing pad. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2016-12-12 at 11:14 AM, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Chicken congee with an egg that almost, almost arrived intact on its carefully prepared landing pad. 

Was that a runny yolk? If so...:x

I opened a carton of Campbell's Pho Broth by mistake, so I added shirataki noodles, ground pork/shrimp/waterchestnut meatballs (left over filling from wontons), Romaine lettuce, and cilantro. It did the job.
                           Shirataki Noodles in Pho Broth0002.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Yup. Perfectly cooked egg to a level of a platonic Ideal until  it wasn't anymore.:D

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/12/2016 at 0:05 PM, robirdstx said:

IMG_0105.JPG

Butter Garlic Wings, leftover from Sunday's lunch, and a Slaw with a Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette and Crunchies

There seems to slobber on my computer screen!  Wow, those looks amazing.

• Like 2

image.jpeg

A friend dropped off two of these diminutive squash. A bit of research suggests that they are honeynut squash.

image.jpeg

So I adapted a recipe.

image.jpeg

And they became lunch.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

@Anna NOh, good. For a second I thought you were having cat food for lunch! :D

No.  Just to give you an idea of scale. I have a houseguest who needs the cat food more than I do!

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

@Anna NOh, good. For a second I thought you were having cat food for lunch! :D

That was my thought, too. "Squash and cat food? This oughta be an interesting recipe..."

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, shain said:

@Anna N Looks delicious. How does it compare to butternut, other than portion size?

It is definitely sweeter and the skin is entirely edible.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

No.  Just to give you an idea of scale. I have a houseguest who needs the cat food more than I do!

So you were not, in fact, considering a DIY repeat of picture #4 from this post? :P

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

@Anna N  I've not had the pleasure of the Huneynut but sounds fantastic from what I read about them.  Like sweeter concentrated Butternut.  Your dish looks fantastic 

Why thank you. If you ever get a chance give them a try. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Waited 24+ hours for this!  Sv'd chuck eye sandwich. Life is GOOD. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog