• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

10 hours ago, shain said:

While I never made injera, I do sometimes make lachuch, which is a Yemeni flatbread, made in a very similar fashion, but from wheat flour instead of teff. 

Here is a video of a women making lachuch, her method is exactly the same as the one I use, only that I prefer to cover to pans while the bread cooks (and mix the dough with a beater -no doughy hands for me, please).
Since she talks in Hebrew and the man in video translates her to Italian, I will highlight the fact that she uses both yeast and baking powder and that the thin batter is poured into a cold pan, oiled very lightly.
Injera is made the same way, only that as much as I know, the dough is usually left to ferment for a few days (I usually do this with lachuch as well) and that baking powder is most likely not traditional (though I'll suggest to include it, as I know it improves the texture of the lachuch). I will also assume that the teff, being a whole grain, requires more water then white flour to achieve the same consistecy.

Wow. Totally fascinating.  Kerry Beal and I were invited back into the kitchen of an Ethiopian restaurant and shown the ins and outs of injera but we were not at all successful in trying to replicate it up on Manitoulin Island. But you have reminded me that it's time for another visit to an Ethiopian eating place for some delicious injera.  I really appreciate you sharing this video.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today was, as it so often is, a re-purposing of the leftovers from last night's dinner.

The pork kidney, mushroom and yellow chives were served alongside steamed rice last night. For today, they magically turned into kidney mushroom and yellow chive fried rice! I did cook and add some more of the chives, as the scent/flavour tends to disappear from the leftovers overnight. Luckily, I still had some uncooked in the fridge.

rice.jpg

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When your bf is like, "What's for lunch" and you're all, "Oh, you know, just mentaiko fish roe, egg yolk omelette, nori, sushi rice and thinly-sliced raw squid molded into the shape of Japanese carp again." And he's like, "Wtf, AGAIN??"

And you're all just, "Make your own damn lunch then, what is this, the 1950s??"

(Kidding. Carp sushi. First time.)

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 18

image.jpeg

Salad inspired by bits and pieces I found as I tried to bring some order to my refrigerator. (Next time I want a refrigerator where the light stays on even when the door is closed because I'm just not sure what goes on in the dark.  I can't possibly be responsible for the mess I find when I open the door.)  The last little bit of starting-to-turn-brown romaine, the last slice or two of bacon in the package and then some croutons browned in the bacon fat.  I added a couple of tomatoes and dressed with oil and vinegar.  I started to eat it with a fork but after the fourth time that everything fell off the fork on the way to my mouth I recalled that the best way to eat a chopped salad like this is with chopsticks. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

croutons browned in the bacon fat.

I was looking at those croutons before reading your caption and thought, wow, those look like excellent croutons.....now I know why, good job.  I love some croutons in a salad for texture.  I have been making Pepin's one pot bread, making some thinner slices and dicing them for some smaller croutons....I find them easier to eat and I don't a have the fear of breaking a tooth on really hard big croutons.

2 hours ago, shain said:

For supper we had pasta in (lightly) sweet bechamel based sauce, with dark malt syrup, poppy seeds, vanilla and a little dark brown sugar. Very tasty. 

20161126_203150.jpg

Well, that is a very eclectic combo of flavours.  Did you have any protein with it?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I was looking at those croutons before reading your caption and thought, wow, those look like excellent croutons.....now I know why, good job.  I love some croutons in a salad for texture.  I have been making Pepin's one pot bread, making some thinner slices and dicing them for some smaller croutons....I find them easier to eat and I don't a have the fear of breaking a tooth on really hard big croutons.

Truth be told I rarely like croutons in salad but no way was I wasting the last little bit of the nan-e barberi! 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, that is a very eclectic combo of flavours.  Did you have any protein with it?

The poppy was a last minute addition. The rest of the flavors are actually common in the taste of many breakfast cereals. 

We had a big protein rich (at least by a vegetarian scale) dinner at lunch time

(I dislike meal-times terminology...), so a lighter supper was fine. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Tidied and inventoried the pantry today (this too shall pass, I hope). Canned sardines in tomato sauce and some marinated artichokes. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Tidied and inventoried the pantry today (this too shall pass, I hope). Canned sardines in tomato sauce and some marinated artichokes. 

I want this right now.  I love artichokes.

And, you're making me feel bad.  My pantry is terrible right now.  And I'm having company this week.  Do I feel up to cleaning it all out????  Sigh.  

Don't do it. You'll never be able to find whatever it is you need.   Organization is highly overrated but mine has been negligent for more than a year. And my angelic cleaning lady can get a bit antsy when things start to get in the way of her determination to turn me into a neatnik. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

This was an early lunch taken yesterday before a 12:40 work meeting. Yes, on a Sunday - the perils of living in an atheist country. It was advertised in the somewhat expensive restaurant of the local 5-star hotel as "seafood rice".

20161127_112631.jpg

It was horrible. The shrimp was OK but the clams and the sole mussel were dried out. Underneath them was the rice, but an effort had been made to separate it from the topping by a layer of nasty, industrial pseudo-cheese. This had totally failed. It had melted into the rice (mixed with cheap "crab" sticks which had never troubled a crab) forming this glutinous ball of inedibility, Truly evil.

My companion chose more wisely. She had a lovely looking and smelling fish curry with rice and declared herself well happy. I know what to go for next time.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

We may "eat with our eyes" but we taste with our tongue. Said it before -- taste trumps appearance.   Still it looks damn good.  Shame it was so disappointing. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Home made chicken  and vegetable soup with some bread and butter. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice looking pears. Definitely not my very favourite fruit but it's hard to beat a good pear when you can find one. Love them in salads with some blue cheese. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog