• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

Ramen but not in Tokyo. This was in Toronto.

Milky, black garlicky broth.

kPdDwMp.jpg

bsuVfoK.jpg

Prawny, fishy broth.

EWoGfbL.jpg

The above and below were my last lunches in Toronto.

GOzv0qX.jpg

UxMSVDx.jpg

Last photos from Toronto:

Shadow of the CN tower with me being in the tower at the same time.

QToaCNQ.jpg

And here it is again, the omnipresece of this engineering marvel. Spotted it whilst walking from the pub to the train station.

ee5gYhZ.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 14

Lunch on the train. But before that the train was delayed for 2 hours. I didn't leave Toronto til 12:30am.

56zTFA9.jpg

Salmon cake, I think. The inside is pasty.

Ldj7YQs.jpg

I haven't eaten so many burgers since my teenage years.

eHLWPlp.jpg

It was a good day. I watched autumn from my private compartment window.

O3C1vt0.jpg

It's really hard trying to make any photo on a moving train! Some did turn out, many did not.

• Like 12

Please tell us more about these pies. We are not judgemental just curious.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today=thanksgiving leftovers. We had our big meal yesterday, for reasons of collective availability.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We had lunch yesterday at the Matunuck Oyster Bar, in Matunuck, RI. I started off with a half dozen (of your biggest oysters), which were not that big at all. Deb had broiled oysters with spinach and garlic butter. The oysters got even smaller under the broiler. This was followed by an order of steamers for Deb and some mussels in wine and herb garlic butter broth, for myself. I took a picture (from our table) of the tide flowing into Ninigret Pond, where the oyster farm is located. We did see a small seal swimming into the pond on the tide. The oyster experience was sort of disappointing so, on the way home, we stopped at my favorite fish market for some bigger ones (you pick them out of the ice yourself) and some steamers, which will be dinner tonight.

HC

Matunuck menu.jpgmatunuck oysters.jpgmatunuck broiled osters.jpgsteamers.jpgsteamed mussels in wine and herb garlic butter broth.jpgtide flowing into ninigret salt ponf.jpg

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Please tell us more about these pies. We are not judgemental just curious.

They're just beef mince pies in a gravy. Ubiquitous here at kids parties (ok, and adults) hence the name party pies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sartoric said:

They're just beef mince pies in a gravy. Ubiquitous here at kids parties (ok, and adults) hence the name party pies.

Ok.  Thank you. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had one roasted yellow pepper left over from last night's dinner, along with a load of its intended stuffing of spicy lentils, so I re-purposed the lot into a lentil and roasted pepper soup. Added some crisp bacon to give it more oomph. Served with home made bread.

soup.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

More Thanksgiving leftovers for me. I'd stuffed a buttercup squash with wild rice, raisins, cranberries and caramelized onions as one of my side dishes, and warmed up a bowl of that for lunch today with a dab of butter. No photo, because after being scooped, packaged, refrigerated and scooped again, it wasn't especially photogenic. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Lukewarm soup in the wilderness today but it didn't matter because I saw King of the Arctic! Looked at him and he looked back at me! A tremendous moment for me to be locking eyes with this majestic beast (in his own natural environment no less). Without the glass and steel of the frame of the massive vehicle it would be too uncomfortable. Just the window was between me and the male polar bear! I also saw a super fluffy, super white, super cute arctic hare, a mother bear with 2 cubs, 2 silver foxes, and many ptarmigans. What a wonderful day!

6g9VZGz.jpg

My last lunch in Winnipeg, at the airport, very reluctantly.

kpWI8Kv.jpg

Burgers everywhere

EkiCz88.jpg

My plane to the north.

XuNh8XT.jpg

A couple of minutes before touchdown.

knDaoqB.jpg

Most people got off here, some people waited for another connection. Cool number plate. Check out the (written) native dialect.

KNaS9AR.jpg

Goodbye Rankin Inlet. It was nice seeing you. After about an hour the plane turned around and I went with it. My travel companion and I were the only 2 people to get off at the next destination. The plane went back to Winnipeg.

0xwqOzL.jpg

And this is where I am at the moment. 0C during the day, with on and off (sometimes intense) flurries all day and night.

SMM461J.jpg

• Like 11

oysters.jpg

Raw oysters with lemon.

These were the biggest oysters ever! I bought 8 as usual but they cost twice as much as usual - they are sold by weight and were double the weight of the 8 oysters I usually buy. They were also filled with liquor. It was like drinking oyster soup.

They were however the most stubborn oysters I've encountered. Shucking them was hard work. But more than worth it!

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lunch at small, somewhat run down Sichuan restaurant in Causeway Bay, HK, called "Yu". Marinated eggplant, Husband & wife lung slices (albeit with beef shank instead), Dan Dan mian and Dumplings in special broth (very thick chicken broth, a house specialty). Delicious and filling. My mouth is still tingling from the Sichuan pepper ...

WP_20161012_12_11_29_Rich.jpg

WP_20161012_12_14_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20161012_12_23_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20161012_12_23_34_Pro.jpg

• Like 14

For John: edamame pasta with avocado and chicken saltimbocca

For me : vegetable rice soup and a salad

still working on leftovers until John leaves later this week...

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I did not manage to visit a Japanese curry house last week in Tokyo, so clearly there was a distinct craving lingering in my head for a couple of days. Fixed it today with spicy Tonkatsu pork curry with udon at Shirokuma ("Polar bear"), Shun Tak branch. It's not the most glorious, but it hit the spot ... Oishii !

WP_20161013_12_10_37_Pro.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/13/2016 at 1:42 AM, Duvel said:

I did not manage to visit a Japanese curry house last week in Tokyo, so clearly there was a distinct craving lingering in my head for a couple of days. Fixed it today with spicy Tonkatsu pork curry with udon at Shirokuma ("Polar bear"), Shun Tak branch. It's not the most glorious, but it hit the spot ... Oishii !

WP_20161013_12_10_37_Pro.jpg

Itadakimasu!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com