• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

Fridge clearance lunch yesterday.

I had two rashers of bacon and a few button mushrooms that seriously needed using so made spaghetti with shallots, garlic, bacon and mushrooms. I also added one tiny green and one tiny red chilli pepper from one of my balcony chilli plants. WOW! Much hotter than I anticipated. Topped with grana padano.

spag.jpg

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

And then it was today.

Inspired by a dish on the Dinner topic by @Dejah, clams in a Thai red curry and coconut sauce/soup with red curry paste, garlic, shallots, chilli pepper, Thai fish sauce, coriander leaf/cilantro and green onions. Served with crusty baguettes.

Couldn't decide which pic to post so you get two. No extra charge!

red curry clams2.jpg

red curry clams1.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Fusilli with Onion and Garlic warmed in EVOO - a splash of Balsamic vinegar - Blanched and diced fresh tomatoes - White unsalted cheese - Baby Rocket and piled Walnuts.......Chablis.... Life is good....

_MG_3668%201_zps8l4hbpul.jpg

• Like 10

image.jpeg

Mushroom ragout from the freezer with a slice of bread.  This was not at all what I wanted for lunch. I would've happily eaten  @weinoo's dinner of  pork chops with apples or my interpretation of @liuzhou's  liver and onions (made with calve's liver and more onions than any one person really needs.   But I have been out of my home for about two weeks and groceries are in short supply until the delivery tomorrow morning.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2016_10_15 4396.JPG

At the same time I bought the pork chops posted in the dinner topic, I bought a package of lamb chops. Both the pork chops and these lamb chops were purchased at the Union Square Greenmarket, but from different vendors. Obviously, the butchering is a bit suspect, as this was a package alleged to be lamb loin chops. In any event, they were delish, served with a simple salad of arugula, still good tomatoes, and avocado. 

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

IMG_0007.JPG

Technically this is breakfast since we didn't get up until 11 am.

We went food shopping at Andronico's where I bought a copy of Chris Kimball's new magazine.

IMG_0004-001.JPG

I wonder if I'll like it better than CI.

We also stopped into Lucca (1100 Valencia at 22nd, in the Mission) to get some bottarga and pancetta.  I found out they sell 25-year old balsamic vinegar for $180.  That will be my birthday gift to myself.

IMG_9748.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9754.JPG

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

IMG_0007.JPG

Technically this is breakfast since we didn't get up until 11 am.

We went food shopping at Andronico's where I bought a copy of Chris Kimball's new magazine.

IMG_0004-001.JPG

I wonder if I'll like it better than CI.

We also stopped into Lucca (1100 Valencia at 22nd, in the Mission) to get some bottarga and pancetta.  I found out they sell 25-year old balsamic vinegar for $180.  That will be my birthday gift to myself.

IMG_9748.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9754.JPG

Please post how you like the magazine.

• Like 2

Back in Winnipeg after 48 hours straight in the train. I was supposed to arrive around 5pm but there was a broke-down train on the same track in the middle of nowhere and thus we had to sit still (also in the middle of nowhere) and wait til they moved it out of the way.

This train and the food is a bit less "nice" than the Toronto-Vancouver train. But it's OK. My travel companion and I are the only 2 persons in carriages with private compartments and private sleepers who are not pensioners and the elderly on organised tours. Needless to say they were most curious about us. You sit with different people at a different table at every meal and they have many questions for you. Very stressful if you are an extreme introvert like me. 

Food options are limited. Half of the menu is burgers and sandwiches.

Ng9FGwQ.jpg

4p0eRsp.jpg

Fruits are in syrup, unfortunately for me. I had a bite of the butter tart but my teeth melted straight away and fell sick (extremely low sugar threshold).

rycNXQy.jpg

Scenery is different than from Toronto to Winnipeg. It was warm coming from Toronto.

JT9lzJi.jpg

A 2 hour stop in a one horse town.

mewIY0J.jpg

mhdmtD8.jpg

kzLjsLz.jpg

qRRuvy6.jpg

My travel companion ate it all.

nKOzYAi.jpg

There is still some snow seen in the trees in this photo. After that there was no more.

Wq8FUyW.jpg

fZaGuN2.jpg

YdTUb4f.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 13

@gfweb 

""   

That scoundrel Kimball had pledged to send me a copy of the new magazine.

Needless to say I have not seen it yet.  ""

ditto.

Im sure it will arrive eventually.    probably from the remainders returned to the publisher. 

they can take a Biz deduction that way.

Ive volunteered to donate my free copy to my library.  they will look it over and decided about a subscription.

all I need is one library out of 32 or so to succumb.

• Like 1

Roasted sweet potato, carrots and kohlrabi - with seeded mustard, malt syrup, dill seeds a little chili. Served with red lentils dal, with fenugreek, malt syrup, cumin, onion and amba.

20161014_194825.jpg20161014_194034.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

I have never been to the Olive Garden nor had I ever heard of this soup but inspired by @Norm Matthews I made this simple but VERY tasty Zuppa Toscana. Of course I did it in the Instant Pot and I used spinach instead of kale. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It's a long lunch today, kind of. All consumed directly after one another (with a short underground ride in between).

Full fat. The more obscene pic of the same plate here.

rli7p3O.jpg

Medium fat

UtGyV6w.jpg

I prefer the medium fat version, and I like fat.

i91Vkt6.jpg

Inside the restaurant

Uea7sHr.jpg

FqIaDCq.jpg

A short underground ride later

DHseJTs.jpg

12 different kinds

sqGRi2a.jpg

Where I ate the oysters (Jean Talon market)

Yt6FnHX.jpg

Another short ride...

g6YsH3Q.jpg

I always give something a go before slagging it off.

8f8uXhC.jpg

xO6bcUk.jpg

• Like 13

image.jpeg

Not something that easily comes to mind when I am hungry--a grilled cheese sandwich with some apple slices and on the side some pickled onions. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, BonVivant said:

It's a long lunch today, kind of. All consumed directly after one another (with a short underground ride in between).

Full fat. The more obscene pic of the same plate here.

rli7p3O.jpg

Medium fat

UtGyV6w.jpg

I prefer the medium fat version, and I like fat.

i91Vkt6.jpg

That look awesome.  I have never been served a sandwich like that (big) before and I doubt anyone in Australia ever has either.

Edited by Captain (log)
  • Like 1

Captain, I think only in North America the portion is huge.

KayB: I have been eating and drinking 3 times my capacity, without exercise whatsoever, few fruits and vegs. But I'm on holiday... will deal with it when I am home again. I have a disciplined gym-pool routine 5 days a week, eat little meat, lots of vegs and fruits (my downfall is cheese and beer!). Five weeks ago I was fit and muscular... Notice the past tense. Hah!

--------------------

And today's lunch was another smoked meat sandwich just to compare. It was across the street from Schwartz's. No wonder Schwartz's gets all the business.

Cq7SLpI.jpg

And just before that... baked bean in lard. If you don't like fat you would hate this.

6K5LQ0J.jpg

I would have made it with Speck. Perhaps most people in Europe would, too. The bean dish is the best thing this place is known for.

x6OKXtV.jpg

The tiny restaurant is a kind of greasy spoon diner. The food they serve is the kind your (grand) mum makes (when you were a child).

tITPiSF.jpg

A few tiny tables and a counter.

amaYKM7.jpg

• Like 9

Today we had a modest lunch made great by crispy old leaves. We came back from several days on the northern CA coast with a meager bunch of leftovers and a few odds and ends. There was one large heirloom tomato, about a cup and a half of cooked fresh cranberry beans (most used in soup and on garlic toast previously) and a package of wilting sage. 

I minced the tomato, liberally sprinkled with salt and let it make its own puddle of juice for about half an hour.  It turned out to be a very good drippy tomato. I made basmati rice. I heated up the beans with the small amount of bean liquor that was left. Then I took a handful of sage leaves and crisped them up in butter. I topped the rice with tomato and all its juice, the hot beans, and then drizzled over the brown butter and sage leaves. Added salt and pepper and that's now by new favorite thing to do with fresh cranberry beans. Brown butter and sage on beans is like finding a pot of gold.

• Like 8