• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

No photograph because it wasn't pretty  and I am positive that no one else has so little class.  Eaten from the plastic food container taken from the refrigerator using nothing more then the fingers I was born with (and the teeth which were a later addition) I devoured the back and wings of a rotisserie chicken. So there. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

No photograph because it wasn't pretty  and I am positive that no one else has so little class.  Eaten from the plastic food container taken from the refrigerator using nothing more then the fingers I was born with (and the teeth which were a later addition) I devoured the back and wings of a rotisserie chicken. So there. 

That's me. 

The ex joked that by the time I was done with a chicken carcass, any dogs in the vicinity would turn up their noses at it. I've been known to go to the extent of biting the ends off the thigh bones and sucking out the marrow. 

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

One of the most serendipitous "that ought to be good" lunches I've had in a while; mayo, roasted and frozen cherry tomatoes, a couple of slices of bacon and some brie layered on potato-flax seed bread and broiled. One piece made a quite substantial and tasty lunch!

bacpn, tomato, brie.jpg

The center piece of brie sort of slid into the gap when I cut the toastie in half. Could have probably done with two pieces.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Brie makes for an Excellent Toastie Ive found : I look for TJ's versions that ' bulge ' in the wrapped slices offered.

there is a reason for that  ....

then home-age the slice for added ' flavor '   I find the wintertime selections at TJ's not as bulge-ey and don't age as nicely as the

warmer times.   but still , and excellent choice for Toasties.

Lunch out with my husband today at one of our favorite spots, Michiru in Webster.

We each had a bowl of Hot and Sour Soup.

IMG_0166.JPG

He had a Tonkatsu and Vegetable Tempura Bento, which included egg rolls, California rolls and rice.

IMG_0165.JPG

And I had the General Tso's Chicken.

IMG_0164.JPG

• Like 12

@robirdstx

Mighty fine looking Spread.  

the H&S looks Unctuous .

GG'    nice.  where I live in the 'Burgs  there are two trace out Chinese restaurants

one does a dark meat  GG  but then does the same with dried orange peel for  " Orange peel chicken "

which I like

sorry to see there were out of Calamari   

maybe  next trip ?

PS  neither of the two carry outs near me can do  Salt & Pepper  calamari  for some Unkown reason

:(

image.jpeg

I was intrigued by a couple of posted sandwiches that included braunschweiger, onion and mayo/mustard. I am no longer intrigued and will return to my routine of enjoying my braunschweiger in an open-face, dark bread sandwich with pickled beets or tomatoes. À chacun son goût.  The curried apple and parsnip soup that I made yesterday was still really good.  This time I enjoyed it with some Aleppo pepper. 

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Tomato and basil soup drizzled with a balsamic reduction and half a toasted Black Forest ham and yellow American sandwich with some pepper relish.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Today. 酸菜鱼粉 suān cài yú fěn - literally, sour vegetable fish (rice) noodles. Pickled veg with fish (farmed grass carp -  草鱼 cǎo yú) and noodle soup. A speciality of Yulin city in southern Guangxi.

paocaiyufen.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Not at all the lunch I planned.:angry: But ranting will change nothing. And in the end there's not much wrong with kielbasa or cambozola. Still. . . . . 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Fish sandwich on a toasted whole wheat bolillo roll, slaw, carrots and celery:

IMG_4334.jpg

The fish was some sort of TJ's frozen battered halibut pieces that I found disappointingly dry on their own.  They were rather tasty here, doused with some TJ's sriracha ranch dressing.  

• Like 7

I thought I had it down in my head what to order, but somehow I screwed it up and ordered 2 spicy tuna California rolls and 1 spicy tuna roll, instead of 2 spicy tuna rolls and 1 spicy tuna California roll (you can see how the confusion sets in), but when it came to over twenty dollars, I realized there was a problem. Then when I picked up the take-out and felt the weight of it, I knew.

It was still good, even though I had the last few pieces as a late night snack.

HC

IMG_0807.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

Leftover linguine with pesto (from a local pizza place - everyone else had pizza last night) with some leftover grilled chicken added. Eaten too fast for a photo, but for pizza place food it was really very good. The pesto had a nice fresh taste.

• Like 2

Once again the best laid plans… I really wanted steak and eggs for breakfast. To me that is the height of decadence.  But it was not to be so here's lunch. 

image.jpeg

My "breakfast" steak with bok choy dressed with a warm ginger-miso sauce. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH.... the trace of snow is up to 1/2 " and going...

I am doing chores and don't to stop too long so some buttery crackers....some marked down brie and some golden tomato relish with ginger from Rea's farm in Cape May I bought for myself.......a few tomato skins but quite good.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Panzanella made with grape tomatoes from TJ, Zima tomatoes from WF, home made bread toasted with olive oil.  Not the same as summer panzanella but acceptable.  Wild chives @gfron1

image.jpg

rockfish with Christmas Lima beans and salsa verde

image.jpg

• Like 11