• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

Why I'm generally a pretty solid option to invite to a picnic. 

Chirashi zushi fixins, pre assembly. It's sushi rice, mixed with shredded pickled carrot, shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots and lotus root. On top of that, I'm scattering sashimi salmon, tuna, kingfish, salmon roe, raw scallops, and cooked prawns I've marinated in mirin and white soy. Then I'll garnish with shredded omelette, cucumber, crumbled toasted nori, pickled ginger and sesame seeds.

And cha gio re, Vietnamese net spring rolls, filled with crab and prawn and doctored with edible calcium hydroxide (slaked lime), so that they're physically incapable of going soggy or anywhere even remotely non crisp, even cold.

IMG_0189.JPG

• Like 13

8 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Excellent! I'd very much like to invite you to the Hollywood Bowl next season - we can discuss your musical preferences so as to choose the best fit!

12 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Chirashi zushi fixins, pre assembly. It's sushi rice, mixed with shredded pickled carrot, shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots and lotus root. On top of that, I'm scattering sashimi salmon, tuna, kingfish, salmon roe, raw scallops, and cooked prawns I've marinated in mirin and white soy. Then I'll garnish with shredded omelette, cucumber, crumbled toasted nori, pickled ginger and sesame seeds.

And cha gio re, Vietnamese net spring rolls, filled with crab and prawn and doctored with edible calcium hydroxide (slaked lime), so that they're physically incapable of going soggy or anywhere even remotely non crisp, even cold.

IMG_0189.JPG

Was this a special occasion or just an everyday riparian delight?

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:35 PM, Anna N said:

Nice looking pears. Definitely not my very favourite fruit but it's hard to beat a good pear when you can find one. Love them in salads with some blue cheese. 

or my new favorite...Sweet Lemon cheese spread from Finlandia smeared on a slice.   Alternated with some good, mouthwatereing blue...

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

If you decide to click on the recipe , and I urge you to do so, you will immediately see that my lunch has no relationship to the photograph!   But that is exactly the joy of this recipe.  It is a suggestion or perhaps a series of suggestions that puts the reins in your hands. More recipes should be this "loose".  This from someone who once wanted exact measurements of absolutely everything. xD xD

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Exact measurements are really only important with baking

And much of Modernist Cuisine. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Yesterday's lunch repeated but with different lettuce, roasted squash and blue cheese. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

Finally got around to making Shain's pizza dough. Dragged the steel plate in from outside - heated to 555 which is the upper limit of my oven, but then turned on the broiler for a bit. 

• Like 13

hearts.jpg

Duck hearts on toast. Home made bread. Hearts cooked like this with balsamic vinegar, duck stock and butter. I also added some olive oil to stop the butter burning.

Seconds (and thirds)  were eaten.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Definitely seems to be a theme emerging here.  Tomato and egg noodles dish adapted from  Fuschia Dunlop. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

More salad. Think the crisper drawers are almost empty now. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Mo Shu Pork; hot and sour soup (again); salad (no pic) 

I now have enough Mo Shu Pork squirreled away to have it everyday for a monthO.o

I think they will make a nice savoury breakfast snack.

DSC01772.jpgDSC01778.jpgDSC01779.jpgDSC01780.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 10

Still doing some catching up! This was my lunch at the airport in El Paso while I waited to catch my flight home on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

IMG_0093.JPG

A glass of Chardonnay and Chicken Quesadillas 

IMG_0094.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 10