• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

This past weekend:

My first herrings in 6 long weeks!

1qf4TSi.jpg

Good herrings should look like THIS. Quality is almost like in the spring. I'm so lucky to have a good fishmonger at the market.

8AvEne3.jpg

And to get to the herring stall I bike through this path. It's also my daily route, half of it is along a small river and the bike path is next to it.

14ugu3m.jpg

Cheese before all else. Chaource has a new label design (top right corner).

HVboUfU.jpg

ENdulKr.jpg

King trumpets and grated blue cheese under there.

y1cwgxd.jpg

lBbCs1N.jpg

Want to know a German saying with sausage in it? "Everything as an end. Only a sausage has 2." There are many sayings in German with food and beer in them.

More Sauerkraut. The real thing, fresh from a container, readily available from vegetable stallholders at the market.

zOHTi9p.jpg

I used a Bavarian napkin and twine to keep the bread in place. The blue and white are the official colours of Bavaria state, btw. They are very proud of their state slogan "under the white-blue sky". (Overhead shot if you must see the mouse)

ZymCy0B.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

This past weekend:

Cheese before all else. Chaource has a new label design (top right corner).

HVboUfU.jpg

ENdulKr.jpg

King trumpets and grated blue cheese under there.

y1cwgxd.jpg

Love the cheese selection. And, of course, the mousie!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Planned over pork tenderloin with jalapeno mustard. I thought the sweetness of the mustard, which I had considered a fault, went well with the pork

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

More rice salad with the last of the planned over pork tenderloin. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

More rice salad with the last of the planned over pork tenderloin. 

Tell me of the rice salad, please. I once ate one, and it was wonderful, but I've never found a reicpe that approached that good.

Don't ask. Eat it.

7 minutes ago, kayb said:

Tell me of the rice salad, please. I once ate one, and it was wonderful, but I've never found a reicpe that approached that good.

I riffed off 

this

I used a wild rice blend which I cooked in the Instant Pot.  I added some red onion as suggested by the lone comment.  I also added maybe a teaspoon of agave nectar to the dressing and when the salad was all tossed, squeezed some extra lemon juice over it. My lemons are wusses!   It was OK but not mind blowing.   It needed a little something something.

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I riffed off 

this

I used a wild rice blend which I cooked in the Instant Pot.  I added some red onion as suggested by the lone comment.  I also added maybe a teaspoon of agave nectar to the dressing and when the salad was all tossed, squeezed some extra lemon juice over it. My lemons are wusses!   It was OK but not mind blowing.   It needed a little something something.

A tiny bit of fish sauce?

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

I suspect more than that. Perhaps some cranberries or barberries. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch yesterday was a late breakfast. Dim sum in a local hotel. Here are but some of the dishes.

changfen.jpg

肠粉  cháng fěn

Literally, chang fen means "intestine noodles", but these contain no intestines. The name comes from the shape and that they are rolled into cylinders. They are rice noodles and contain fried pork and/or shrimp. These came in two forms. This one with soy sauce and another with sweet chilli sauce.

char siu buns.jpg

Char siu buns

indian pancakes.jpg

I forget the name of these - something like Indian pancakes, although there is nothing Indian about them. Scallions in batter, really. Very nice.

jiaozi.jpg

Fried jiaozi which had all stuck together (deliberately).

greens.jpg

Greenery

and a very non-traditional, very local dish of Luosifen to finish.

luosifen.jpg

This was washed down by a bottle of beer which only arrived after an utter farce. I specifically requested ice cold beer, which the server repeated only to reappear with a bottle of the local brew at room temperature. She had already opened it. It is normal in China for the unopened bottle to be presented to you for your approval (correct beer, cortrect temperature etc) before they open it. I don't blame the server. Just poor training.

Anyway I refused it. They weren't happy at all, but said they would get another, which they did half an hour later. FIve star hotel, my arse. (The hotel is government owned - guess who awards the stars.)

Still, it caused more amusement than annoyance and the food was great.

Edited by liuzhou
terrible typos (log)
  • Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Had a mid-morning meeting in Philadelphia, so planned some grub stops for early lunch (Mama's falafel - small sandwich) and then a treat for the train (Federal Donuts - strawberry cheesecake flavor). It's fun when I have to go in to Center City, I can map out all the places to stop along the way for my treats.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Oyster heaven. We're on Bruny Island, off the coast of Tasmania, Australia's island state with a pristine environment.

Half a dozen natural, half a dozen kilpatrick, half a dozen wonton wrapped, and a glass of oyster bay Sauvignon Blanc.

IMG_2881.JPGIMG_2880.JPG

• Like 14

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

A quick BLT for lunch today or I should say a BAT

image.jpeg

Fabulous food and fabulous photo. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

"Shaved" sous vide pork tenderloin and thinly sliced cucumber on home-made multigrain. Pickled onions on the side. 

The butter, pork and cucumbers filled the sandwich "crust to crust" or "wall to wall" -- take your pick. Never before was making a sandwich such a Zen-like experience.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, sartoric said:

Oyster heaven. We're on Bruny Island, off the coast of Tasmania, Australia's island state with a pristine environment.

Half a dozen natural, half a dozen kilpatrick, half a dozen wonton wrapped, and a glass of oyster bay Sauvignon Blanc.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccIMG_2881.JPGIMG_2880.JPG

So very envious. I have been craving oysters and it's been way too long since my last trip to the Gulf.

Also intrigued with the notion of wonton-wrapped oysters. Any seasoning inside the pouch?

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

"Shaved" sous vide pork tenderloin and thinly sliced cucumber on home-made multigrain. Pickled onions on the side. 

The butter, pork and cucumbers filled the sandwich "crust to crust" or "wall to wall" -- take your pick. Never before was making a sandwich such a Zen-like experience.

I guess it's my knife skills, but I have problems slicing meat as thin as I want it for sandwiches. Do you use a slicer? I've hesitated to get one because I don't eat sandwiches that often, and I have limited storage space, not to mention resources.

Don't ask. Eat it.

30 minutes ago, kayb said:

So very envious. I have been craving oysters and it's been way too long since my last trip to the Gulf.

Also intrigued with the notion of wonton-wrapped oysters. Any seasoning inside the pouch?

I guess it's my knife skills, but I have problems slicing meat as thin as I want it for sandwiches. Do you use a slicer? I've hesitated to get one because I don't eat sandwiches that often, and I have limited storage space, not to mention resources.

Nope. No slicer. Had a brand new knife in my hand (a gift) and the meat was soft enough to sort of shave. Wouldn't have passed a close inspection which is why I used those ever forgiving quotation marks.  I have had a couple of manual slicers but got rid of them when I realized there wasn't done enough of a barrier between them and my klutzy self to keep me out of the emergency ward.:(

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@chefmd

In my house leftover duck breast is as scarce as leftover wine but good for you!  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2886.JPG@kayb, no seasoning in the pouch, but a very garlicky aioli to go with them. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have ordered all natural. I might be spoilt oysterwise forever.

Here's a photo of the bay...

• Like 2

I have a lot of trouble passing up a seafood chowder.

I'm pretty sure once on a 14 day trip to New Zealand I had at least 7.

This is a pub meal in Dunalley, a town ravaged by bushfires two years ago. Thankfully the historic hotel was saved.

He who must be fed had a mixed grill.

IMG_2868.JPGIMG_2869.JPG

• Like 8

Çilbir (pronounced something like "chi-bare"). Black stuff is Isot Biber (a kind of Turkish pepper).

37gpshC.jpg

Got a big piece of Faroe Islands salmon to smoke. I used the belly for tartare. Matchsticks are black radish (sharp and crunchy).

BxyMsSk.jpg

This is the salmon I smoked, using mesquite chips.

kmd9eZq.jpg

fZwcftv.jpg

• Like 9