• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rack Position When Baking in the CSO (Cuisinart Steam Oven)

lindag

I've had a little experience so far my with new CSO.  And I know if probably says in the manual (if I knew where I put it),

but I'm never sure when I bake something if it should go on the lowest rack setting or in the middle.

Can someone provide some advice, pls?

Cookies, for example,  Scones, etc.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

I've had a little experience so far my with new CSO.  And I know if probably says in the manual (if I knew where I put it),

but I'm never sure when I bake something if it should go on the lowest rack setting or in the middle.

"Four-position rack for multiple cooking functions: LOWER for roasts, 
poultry, casseroles, bread and baked goods. MIDDLE for standard-
size foods and dishes, toast and bagels. Two broil positions, UPPER 
and LOWER, for broiling. See page 6."

Quoted directly from the manual. Not sure what standard size foods and dishes are!   But this should answer your question about baking.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, lindag said:

My (admittedly winging it) method: If it's bread that's going to rise and be four inches or more tall, I go to the lower rack. Anything that's not going to rise that much stays on the middle rack.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

My issue is usually should I turn the rack upside down on the top rungs or right side up on the bottom rungs? 

According to the manual:

If it's on the lower rack then it's right way up ( meaning it is as low as it can possibly go.

If the recipe calls for using the middle rack then it's flipped.

Broiling you have two choices: rightway up meaning furthest away from the top element or flipped meaning closest to the top element.

This would suggest that the middle rack is not used with it the right way up.   At least that is my understanding when reading the manual. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

According to the manual:

If it's on the lower rack then it's right way up ( meaning it is as low as it can possibly go.

If the recipe calls for using the middle rack then it's flipped.

Broiling you have two choices: rightway up meaning furthest away from the top element or flipped meaning closest to the top element.

This would suggest that the middle rack is not used with it the right way up.   At least that is my understanding when reading the manual. 

Oh dear.  This is not my understanding.  On page six the manual shows pictures of the four possible rack combinations:

"Lower Rack Position" is bottom slot, rack right side up.  "Middle Rack Position" is top slot, rack right side up.  "Lower Broil Position" is bottom slot, rack upside down.  "Upper Broil Position" is top slot, rack upside down.

Of course this all may be very different in French.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh dear.  This is not my understanding.  On page six the manual shows pictures of the four possible rack combinations:

"Lower Rack Position" is bottom slot, rack right side up.  "Middle Rack Position" is top slot, rack right side up.  "Lower Broil Position" is bottom slot, rack upside down.  "Upper Broil Position" is top slot, rack upside down.

Of course this all may be very different in French.

I have looked very closely once again and you might possibly be right.  The photographs leave a great deal to be desired and there is not much text to back up anything you miss visually.  

So here's a screen shot so everyone can try to make their own determination.

image.png

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

for me , not necessarily 

I try to make the  ' whole 'dish' ' sit in the middle of the oven.

if something is fairly tall  then I use a lower position so that the top space more or less fits the bottom space.

• Like 1