• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some help recreating some tiki drink recipes...

arcadiandj

So, recently some amazing mixologists opened up a tiki bar here in Phoenix. First of all, WOW! The place is awesome, particularly when the best we could do locally was staffed by bar tenders that didn't know what demerara rum is.

Not the case at:http://www.undertowphx.com/

My question to the forum is, their menu is a GREAT mix of classic and modern recipes. My wife and I want to try and recreate a couple of their modern recipes. Here they are:

Heart of a Sailor... $ 13 A passionate blend of Macadamia Nut infused Overproof Jamaican Rum, Aged Demerara Rum, Creole Shrub, Peach, Amontillado Sherry, Passion Fruit Bitters and grapefruit Oils.

and:

Stirred Bird... $ 13 Take flight with this jungle bird inspired cocktail that combines a blend of Dark Rums, Pineapple Rum, Aperitivo* Aperitif Aperitifs Operative , Pineapple & Lime Oils.

We have found both of these drinks to have both the qualities of a whiskey drink like a Manhattan-a sipper with one large ice cube, but with the rum/tiki qualities that we all know and love.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to approach trying to replicate these? I imagine one ounce base, 3/4 ounce other rums/shrub, 3/4 ounce etc... and splash of the other ingredients? Does that make sense?

FWIW if you are anywhere within driving distance of this bar, check it out. It is an amazing place. They have taken an old Jiffy Lube and converted it into a coffee/bar/restaurant and then used the under ground area to make a tiki bar/like the hold of a ship. Now the space is AMAZING, but the drinks are even better. I'm sure they will get a following and you will hear more, but in short, if you are close by, check it out.

Be advised, they are new and in high demand, so you need to make reservations. Text them with your request Monday morning-to get your slot. Or you may not get in. 

• 1 month later...

It's a pretty fun place, isn't it? Good drinks made by really really good people.

While not quite the Stirred Bird, cocktailvirgin has this stirred recipe from Brick&Mortar (which I've made a few times) and is a nice Jungle Bird variant. Should give you some ideas on ratios.

Jungle Stirred

1 oz Plantation Jamaica 2001 Rum
1 oz Plantation Stiggins' Fancy Pineapple Rum
3/4 oz Campari
1/4 oz Velvet Falernum
1 dash Angostura Bitters
Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with lime oil from a twist.
  • Like 2

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com