• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

Kerry Beal

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Decided to make the version of smashed burger from Food52 that showed up this week. Oklahoma Onion Burger

Should have taken a pic on the plate - I'm very pleased with this burger. I gave the onions a few more minutes to saute and deglazed with a bit of maple vinegar. 

I like burgers cooked that way. I usually dice the onions when I do it but that doesn't make much difference in the result, just personal preference. I've done it with a mixture of chopped onions and chopped pickled jalapenos too.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cooking at a Big Green Egg eggfest on Saturday. A couple of days ago they sent a notice to say 'did you notice we've changed the hours this year?' Well of course I hadn't - and looking back at all their mailings it wasn't apparent until that e-mail. I originally had a 24 hour shift and it was going to be hard to get out of because of Mudcat Festival here in Dunnville. It's not a shift you want to be working because town becomes a boozefest with all the attendant injuries! 

So someone was desperate to get rid of a day - didn't realize it was Mudcat so took the 12 hour day - so I just have the overnight. But since the eggfest now runs to 8 pm (and is in Toronto which is at least 2 hours drive from here) it is a challenge.

I've told the folks in Toronto that I will have to leave early - and the folks in Dunnville that I will likely arrive late - so now it's just getting as much prepared in advance as I can.

IMG_5017.JPG.e8a12b59544bc5db7e016c5ca9217e1a.JPG

Brought flour, salt, yeast in a bag.

IMG_5019.JPG.4ca152fd34721817c65b48152beac387.JPG

overnight rise - placed in the CSO pans 

IMG_5021.JPG.4dae7475e02088a5f66ac2c3764293aa.JPG

Proofing boxes!

IMG_5024.JPG.d5b0e19599b1ca667262edb7521f7014.JPG

Just before studding with pressure cooked garlic cloves.

IMG_5026.JPG.89232458f410b0564a8e6c48a71f86e8.JPG

So I'll take this in foil - reheat on the egg and brush with some garlic butter when warmed and the bottom a little crisped.

• Like 8

IMG_5027.JPG.1c8fb4c2fdf5337c624e94c1bb934e53.JPG

My lunch today - sous vided pork chop - browned in some oil with the induction cooktop  - some sautéed onions deglazed with maple vinegar.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Kerry,

You may be interested in one of these.

I remember looking at that toy a long time ago in regards to keeping chocolate warm. 

I suspect most bread that I proof at work here will likely have to deal with room temperature!

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm cooking at a Big Green Egg eggfest on Saturday. A couple of days ago they sent a notice to say 'did you notice we've changed the hours this year?' Well of course I hadn't - and looking back at all their mailings it wasn't apparent until that e-mail. I originally had a 24 hour shift and it was going to be hard to get out of because of Mudcat Festival here in Dunnville. It's not a shift you want to be working because town becomes a boozefest with all the attendant injuries! 

So someone was desperate to get rid of a day - didn't realize it was Mudcat so took the 12 hour day - so I just have the overnight. But since the eggfest now runs to 8 pm (and is in Toronto which is at least 2 hours drive from here) it is a challenge.

I've told the folks in Toronto that I will have to leave early - and the folks in Dunnville that I will likely arrive late - so now it's just getting as much prepared in advance as I can.

I want to say "I don't know how you do it all" but I think that would just be an attempt at making myself feel better because I don't. It's pretty obvious how you do it... you don't find excuses to not do it, you just do it.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I want to say "I don't know how you do it all" but I think that would just be an attempt at making myself feel better because I don't. It's pretty obvious how you do it... you don't find excuses to not do it, you just do it.

Yes.  You have hit the nail on the head.   She leaves me awestruck and guilt-ridden. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made some baked potato middle's with cheese sour cream and green onions for the rug rat while I am away. That left me with all of these lovely baked potato skins

IMG_5875.thumb.JPG.815f6c9e8fd8947dfcdcf48d806c9e91.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

When I worked (now retired) for years on shifts in a secret spy base I took a pint jar with veggie soup in it maybe some rice , pretty much anything then, put it in the microwave and enjoyed it. Others spent a fortune in the canteen.

if I had known about Carrottes Rapees then, I would have taken that:

IMG_4544.jpg.f0d03c8af33c0de7ef9eec4d03fcaa27.jpg

• Like 5

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Picked up some lovely peaches at the farmers market yesterday. Brought in the fixings for a summer torte today.

Forgot to take a picture before they cut it.

IMG_5879.thumb.JPG.f0197f10da92a0368cfe2647a1ac458c.JPG

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Lunch today - and yes - that is Miracle Whip!

Completely untrainable. xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Made a few of the egg bites in the CSO instead of the sous vide - cooked at 190º steam for 40 minutes.

IMG_6235.jpg.88119999fd2d57eecb14ea86581544de.jpg

There was a bit of leftover that I cooked up in a little fry pan for my breakfast.

IMG_6233.jpg.3adef987891bfee8ef5e1581d432d2a5.jpg

Made a batch of Cream Scones with raisins for the nurses.

IMG_6236.jpg.9587b2c381587d9bb9ea810ccebb6f83.jpg

Didn't last long.

IMG_6237.jpg.f4ed0a969a4bfc88d5cfb459218937ee.jpg

For lunch a sous vide boneless breast that I browned on one side with the velveting paste.

IMG_6239.jpg.65c2d206f4c23df0eb6fee911e2cde2c.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

Velveting paste?

Velveting Paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted

Brush over one side of the sous vide breast and brown quickly in a hot pan. 

I didn't have any cornstarch and I didn't measure - just added some flour to some melted butter. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Modernist Lean Bread in the CSO.

IMG_7599.thumb.jpg.12d1eee4ff1840bc7c16802279a28405.jpg

IMG_7597.thumb.jpg.c29c943cb38e40717ca8f21583898526.jpg

IMG_7595.thumb.jpg.a3173c7ed22fd3910ac58525ae13cbb3.jpg

IMG_7592.thumb.jpg.7e3899b4b63099014c43f94b986c7a3f.jpg

IMG_7602.thumb.jpg.e883283f2382487c1cd13039e7532ef4.jpg

Kimchi jigae eaten in an 'unhealthy' fashion standing at the desk in the ER, between patient encounters.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

How many people were drawn in by the smell of baking bread?

Who only had a hangnail that they been dealing with for the last three months. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog