• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

Kerry Beal

IMG_3922.thumb.jpg.d13a8f5751c6887b853cb0abb10a4e56.jpg

Cooked up a couple of artichokes in the IP for my lunch. Cooked for 15 minutes - but 20 would have been more ideal.

IMG_3925.jpg.c386ca041c7840fb7108522ac33d2981.jpg

KImche jigae for dinner - the rest of the pot is out at the nurses station.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Artichokes in January!!!

I'm sure they are local, free range, non GMO - no wait they were in the bargain bin - got 6 nice big ones for $1.99. They were however organic - cause that's what was in the bin. 

• Like 4

Hey I live in artichoke land so of course they are from elsewhere. They don't even try to sell them here in winter. Daniel Gritzer of Serious Eats recently spoke of self incinertig ones that were out of season - he is in New York City.  He cut into an out of season one that was really dry and it spraked on the knife. But ya got the ER doc right there ;) 

• Like 1

I rarely find artichokes worth buying anytime of the year up here in the Okanagan.  I don’t think there is a big demand and the produce managers don’t know how to care for them.  They are invariably dried out and spongy.  Sad.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I found in the freezer in the great freezer clean was a package of figs stuffed with chocolate left over from eggfests / so I nuked for a total of 60 seconds to get the chocolate melty. 3 left 

Also from the freezer were some raspberries - cooked down a bit with some sugar. Used some today for some Paul Young brownies that will be cut when I’m back on Saturday.

53CDFD8F-804A-4518-A500-2007C926F1C5.thumb.jpeg.90a79339c50ac8bafc8a37119b3f5b19.jpeg

For lunch I made red Thai curry with chicken from freezer.

0EA5305F-9213-4F7D-BF77-DB6524D307E3.thumb.jpeg.04929973d5892d7ce5b8f9bdf26351cd.jpeg

AC737667-FFA2-4437-A155-8A7DBE1485C6.jpeg

• Like 10

I pulled shrimp, salmon and cod (the latter caught by my Newfoundland relatives) from the freezer last night and made chowder. No pictures because I'm lazy, and because chowder isn't super-photogenic at best.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Paul Young brownies

Have you tried doubling his brownie recipes? Just wondering if his recipes work well in larger batches in larger pans with potentially longer bake times. I don't mind giving it a shot myself, plan to this weekend, just thought I'd ask in case you've already done it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

22 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Have you tried doubling his brownie recipes? Just wondering if his recipes work well in larger batches in larger pans with potentially longer bake times. I don't mind giving it a shot myself, plan to this weekend, just thought I'd ask in case you've already done it.

He makes them in full sheet pans. So doubling is just a start!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

He makes them in full sheet pans. So doubling is just a start!

Yeah, I suppose that would make doubling a bit of a non-issue, wouldn't it? :D A doubling I shall go...

Edit: I suppose I should disclaimer that I don't need a double batch of brownies sitting around tempting me, just want be able to set a little aside for myself before the vultures descend.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

IMG_4271.thumb.jpg.2388da2d182e9a38bd66d0f34b12fbea.jpg

Got a tour of our new ER (opening next month) - there are a couple of rooms available for naming yet (with a sizable donation). For a mere $10,000 this could be the ChocDoc WC - what do you think?

• Like 3
  • Haha 13
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

IMG_4276.thumb.jpg.b4da40ec006970364d9a56ce5305b250.jpg

I had a late night here last night - slept at the house they have for out of town family members. Wish I'd known to take towels from the hospital with me when I headed over there. 

IMG_4275.thumb.jpg.52bc9e06cba4023f81293697ba0dc3b5.jpg

Had a pre sous vided pork steak in the fridge - made a suitable breakfast.

Cut up the brownies from the other day - some for the emerg, some for the family of the patient that kept me here so late last night.

• Like 11

@Kerry Beal

that t-fla pan interests me

I have these ;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H14V3TR/ref=twister_B07D48B893?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and I really enjoy them

Jamie Oliver

across the pond seems to have set up a different set

thicker maybe

https://www.tefal.com/Cookware-%26-Kitchenware/Pots-%26-Pans/Cooking-like-Jamie-Oliver/Jamie-Oliver-TEFAL-Hard-Anodised/p/R-jamie-oliver-hard-anodised

?

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

I have these ;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H14V3TR/ref=twister_B07D48B893?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and I really enjoy them

Jamie Oliver

thicker maybe

https://www.tefal.com/Cookware-%26-Kitchenware/Pots-%26-Pans/Cooking-like-Jamie-Oliver/Jamie-Oliver-TEFAL-Hard-Anodised/p/R-jamie-oliver-hard-anodised

?

These are the good ones - made in France - nice and heavy.  T-fal character

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Got a tour of our new ER (opening next month) - there are a couple of rooms available for naming yet (with a sizable donation). For a mere $10,000 this could be the ChocDoc WC - what do you think?

$10,000, no copper handle, a ripoff.  Though EZtemper washroom has a nice ring to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

thank you for the pan info

Im guessing JO is simply marketing a GB version.

TF Character does not seem available in USA.

I found my first one (actually @Anna N eyeballed it) at Value Village - then shopped around and got one of each size for home and one for work. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I can absolutely see someone cheerfully coughing up the money in order to name the washroom after their least favorite politician.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Oh, wait! Even better... Eugene and Dan Levy should sponsor it as a promo for "Schitt's Creek."

• Haha 3

On 1/26/2019 at 4:42 PM, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

I have these ;

and I really enjoy them

Jamie Oliver

thicker maybe

?

The ones you have look quite similar - but are they induction compatible?

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

no they are not.  they are aluminum and work quite well

I had the feeling yours swede steel.

Do you use induction?

unfortunately not really.   I have the same ' hob ' you have in the pic

but I need to get some electrical work done.

and inertia looms large here.

this seems to be the same sort of pan Jaime Oliver uses in his last series and sells in Gb

but with a different handle.

the pans I have a very nice and I enjoy them

Ive given up on changing to a large induction top w and electric oven

as Meile does not have a combi for the lower oven

at its price , It wont do a lot for me.  

w a conbi oven it would.

• Like 1

a correction :

the set of T-F pans I have, these :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H14V3TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

work on induction.

I sued to use the smallest one for eggs on the Burton induction hob intel it wet berserk and got moved to

" the downstairs area "  to permanently rest.

Edited by rotuts (log)