• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

Kerry Beal

11 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Half the fun is guessing what you've appropriated ...  sharps disposal box?

Looks like one to me...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Half the fun is guessing what you've appropriated ...  sharps disposal box?

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Looks like one to me...

Indeed it is!

IMG_3635.thumb.jpg.3b635a25cff13bcd1524494858bfee06.jpg

Had the butcher at the Asian market in Hamilton cut me a couple of nice pork chops on Friday. Sous ve'd them and browned one of them yesterday for my dinner. That's peach and red pepper jam to go with.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

First order of the day - cheese biscuits for the staff

9EFD9B66-24C8-4809-99AC-B39ABA78009B.thumb.jpeg.8553f2f8a0f0681c4fd59a0483656d6a.jpeg

Now John would take a spoon and scrape EVERY LAST BIT OF BURN off the biscuit as it "causes cancer".

• Haha 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

17 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Now John would take a spoon and scrape EVERY LAST BIT OF BURN off the biscuit as it "causes cancer".

Funny - the gang here just snarfed them down with nary a concern about carcinogenesis.

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Funny - the gang here just snarfed them down with nary a concern about carcinogenesis.

Kerry,

He is psychotic about it. Course for many years he would NOT eat bacon as he read it caused raised cholesterol.  My mom challenged him to get his cholesterol checked...it was less than his weight (which at that time was 115lb for a 5'9" male of 34 years old).  He gets these bees in his bonnet and it is hard to shake them out.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

13 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Kerry,

He is psychotic about it. Course for many years he would NOT eat bacon as he read it caused raised cholesterol.  My mom challenged him to get his cholesterol checked...it was less than his weight (which at that time was 115lb for a 5'9" male of 34 years old).  He gets these bees in his bonnet and it is hard to shake them out.

You can tell a man - but you can't tell them much!

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You can tell a man - but you can't tell them much!

NOOOOO...….

Actually my mom taught me to sing, at age 4 or 5, her favorite song...

You can tell the girls from Fredonia State

You can tell them by their walk.

You can tell them by their talk.

You can tell them by their manners, their attitude and such.

But you can not tell them MUCH!!

Mom was class of 1947, I am class 0f 1976.

Which is how I  the two kinds of beef on 'weck, sponge candy  and what Anchor Bar wings are as well as spiedies from Binghampton - halfway between Fredonia and Shelter Island are.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Another batch of Paul Young brownies. PB & J version.

And once again, thanks to Kerry, off to google I go... 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Indeed it is!

Too funny, I laughed when I saw that pic. We have them in the lab, too.

Edit: Sharps containers, not Nanos.

Edited by Vapre (log)

141D0643-14FB-40C3-8606-8505917BD12D.thumb.jpeg.b7d9fedad54f51a9b0f23bbdcdecee90.jpeg

Blade roasts on sale at Sobeys this am - 1 hour in the Instant Pot - a bit of gravy with the juices on the induction cook top - lunch!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Possiby the scariest post I've ever seen!  I had NO idea of origin before I read text. You make many happy :)

Not quite sure to which of my scary photos you are referring?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

making steamed cranberry pudding for Christmas dinner in IP - decided work might like one

I've never made or even eaten a steamed pudding. Are they as moist and dense as it sounds like they would be? I should be clear that moist and dense would not be considered a down-side for me. I greatly prefer most cakes and cake-like items I eat to have those characteristics. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Are they as moist and dense as it sounds like they would be?

... and wonderful.

My MIL used to make a steamed plum pudding, flamed with brandy, and served with hard sauce. She has long since passed away and several years ago I started making them, especially for my FIL, but it just didn't happen this year. I have taken possession of the mold. There will be more in the future.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

20 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I've never made or even eaten a steamed pudding. Are they as moist and dense as it sounds like they would be? I should be clear that moist and dense would not be considered a down-side for me. I greatly prefer most cakes and cake-like items I eat to have those characteristics. 

Dense indeed - fairly moist but still need the gobs of sauce. 

• Like 4

IMG_3860.thumb.jpg.e74f218bfe775653b81238092bb04728.jpg

CSO on steam bake did an excellent job of taking a frozen tortiere given to me by @Alleguede and browning it into this lovely thing. Served to the nurses with turkey gravy.

IMG_3865.thumb.jpg.9f89b9889897e8e40afc2f6033fc7c95.jpg

This evening I managed to throw together this steamed pudding - sort of self saucing with lemon juice and golden syrup in the bowl first with a batter behind. Looks much better in the pictures. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

IMG_3916.thumb.jpg.1e8c5631d128f9247a471d4c17e4cd3d.jpg

IMG_3917.thumb.jpg.f6ded3affd4740dbe1b7c5ced464e62f.jpg

IMG_3921.thumb.jpg.657c7538877d78db8b3a7d1499ecd25a.jpg

Galette de rois - made by @Alleguede - given to me frozen - steam baked for 35 minutes at 400 in CSO. Is it cheating when someone sees the feve in the next piece and plucks it out? Have they stolen someone else's luck?

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3