• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anna sent me a recipe for cornbread yesterday - very rich and moist

Gonna have to put on my begging face and send her a message! :D Always on the lookout for good cornbread recipes. Especially as we start getting closer to fall, which means big pots of chili to accompany football. Nothing goes better with a big pot of chili than a big pan of cornbread... well, there may be a tie between the cornbread and a bowl + spoon.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

D94E5AAB-0C5B-4275-9F12-9C41B0764550.thumb.jpeg.57760f437f73aa2dcfe88c6540808340.jpeg

Leftover seafood pajeon for lunch

2A6B075B-7491-4276-8C75-AE9251606228.thumb.jpeg.c432648121b4eda92fcf0c22859cf77d.jpeg

Esquites for dinner

Baked a peach summer torte with peaches I picked up at the farmers market this morning. Forgot picture

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_2815.jpg.915b567cceee7da84f1531f51c17a825.jpg

Lentils with roasted red peppers and feta in the Instant Pot

IMG_2819.jpg.8146db70f9481ef45b41efffcf6e0f71.jpg

Chicken thighs, fennel and salami also made in the IP.

IMG_2822.jpg.78674e58a39ca243e59388d98e510958.jpg

Sous vide NY strip. Browned in it's own fat in the nice T-fal pan from the thrift store on the induction hob.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

4E0AB178-898C-4647-934F-690938B35B72.thumb.jpeg.4e05e8498b4d54ad796b0b1eaba1dc57.jpeg

Not terribly photogenic -pork breastbones were on sale at Sobey’s this morning. Grabbed a couple of packages for two dollars each. 45 minutes in the instant pot and a few minutes in a hot CSO to brown them up. Dinner was served. Not shown the peach and red pepper sauce to go with them.

• Like 7

IMG_3598.thumb.jpg.d95b7c6eb60146d000471cbe6564f9b5.jpg

One of the nurses, who doesn't cook, mentioned that she had seen an ad for the sous vide unit that they are selling at Canadian Tire. Knowing that I had a few extra sous vides around the house - I suggested I'd bring her one.

Steaks were on sale at Sobey's when I dropped in there this morning so I grabbed two and it seemed like a good opportunity to show her how to use it. Vacuum sealed the buggers up - found a suitable vessel (don't worry it's brand new, never used) and we sous ved them for two hours this am. 

Dinner time tonight - I'll give them a quick brown and share.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

IMG_3600.thumb.jpg.fc8d1d3c14d9ee7d439e4a44694e320b.jpg

A few days back when I stopped in Sobey's on the way to work I noticed lovely plump chickens on sale for about $5 each. Grabbed one - then forgot to cook it for a few days. Decided to cook it in the IP with a tiny bit of water. Stuffed it into a container with the liquid and forgot about it until this am when I was deciding what to bring for work today. 

Took the bones, skin etc and added a couple of cups more water to the jelly - and cooked it for an hour. Then 4 minutes with some celery, onion, carrot and potato. Added back in the chopped chicken and had soup for lunch.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

found a suitable vessel (don't worry it's brand new, never used) and we sous ved them for two hours this am

I know I've said it  many times before but I'll say it again: put Kerry in a room with anything at all other than just air and she'll find a way to cook or make something. .. and I wouldn't bet against her if there was just the air. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well, I'll have to lug my toys to work on wednesday- I've landed a job in high school, and am expected to bring food for everybody at work. ^_^ Colleagues on such occassions usually order few pans of pita or pizza (on rare occassions even BBQ), but I've decided to prepare and serve homemade food.

Tomorrow I will be making my own version of pollo a cacciatore (I probably watched a dozen videos and then sort of made my own rendition- adding button mushrooms sauteed in butter and flambeed and pitted black olives... peppers, tomato and garlic as usual, and is stewed uncovered and liquid topped up with Chianti). It was 'tested on people' (as that old Phillips ad boasted xD), and got rave reviews.

The day after that is the dish my father 'invented' few decades ago and named 'mexican beans'- basis is dish called sataraš (stewed onions, peppers and tomatoes... I add anchovy fillet to it, to lift it up), ground meat and beans (for this purpose, I prefer Italian canned white beans which have faint taste of corn). Last time I did it, it turned out something like this:

IMG_20181021_134521-1488x1984.jpg

• Like 6

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

55 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I know I've said it  many times before but I'll say it again: put Kerry in a room with anything at all other than just air and she'll find a way to cook or make something. .. and I wouldn't bet against her if there was just the air. 

And she won’t make you feel foolish because you’re not nearly so talented.  Now that’s a talent. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Well, I'll have to lug my toys to work on wednesday- I've landed a job in high school, and am expected to bring food for everybody at work.

What toys will you be taking?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IKEA Dutch oven and induction plate for one, and few pots and pans as well (I'll have to make a vegetarian dish as well- probably aforementioned sataraš with chick-peas)...

• Like 3

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

Sorry, Suzilightning, nothing lik burek for me- I'm sort of braise and stew kind of guy... :) And čevapćići are never frowned upon- great in any kind of weather... :D

'll try to dig up recipe for Banjalučki ćevap for You, which I have stashed somewhere- those have a cult folllowing in my part of woods (key ingewrdient is having some lamb or mutton mince), but what is little known is that the key for that recipe is having a 'custom grille' that collects drippings which are  then used to moisten the somun (sort of bun they're served in)...

somun (pastry they're served in)

39 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Sorry, Suzilightning, nothing lik burek for me- I'm sort of braise and stew kind of guy... :) And čevapćići are never frowned upon- great in any kind of weather... :D

'll try to dig up recipe for Banjalučki ćevap for You, which I have stashed somewhere- those have a cult folllowing in my part of woods (key ingewrdient is having some lamb or mutton mince), but what is little known is that the key for that recipe is having a 'custom grille' that collects drippings which are  then used to moisten the somun (sort of bun they're served in)...

somun (pastry they're served in)

@Wolf have my family recipes for both - last name was Simovic when my dad's parents came to the US from "Austria" just after the first World War.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

IMG_3628.jpeg.4c0fa6f30eaf83438e3e0455f5e3d44a.jpeg

Another batch of Paul Young brownies. PB & J version.

IMG_3633.jpeg.12b571412d8f11c807c3d6d6cbb01705.jpeg

Picked up some coconut and condensed milk - made a batch of macaroons.

IMG_3629.jpeg.993e34ce55891c62a62990e80393182e.jpeg

With the condensed milk and egg yolks leftover from the macaroons I made a flan in the CSO. The other half will be for the night staff as I'm here for 24 hours.

IMG_3632.jpeg.3fc1f49eeda39cdb5f02c9a761d36240.jpeg

Kimchi jigae for lunch. 

• Like 13