• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

Kerry Beal

Just saw a link for a book that MIGHT be interesting though there is no "taking-my-kitchen-toys-to-work" part in it....

Made in the Office: Tasty & Hasty Meals with just a Kettle, Toaster & Microwave by Rachel Maylor.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Just saw a link for a book that MIGHT be interesting though there is no "taking-my-kitchen-toys-to-work" part in it....

Made in the Office: Tasty & Hasty Meals with just a Kettle, Toaster & Microwave by Rachel Maylor.

I'll have to take a look at it if I see it in a bookstore.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Farmer's bread - brought the dough to work cold proofed - baked the first loaf as soon as I arrived

IMG_7662.thumb.JPG.3ecffc6ab3d5fd7e435bcf0665d72156.JPG

I've lost track, Kerry.  Which oven do you have there for baking?  That crust looks terrific.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I've lost track, Kerry.  Which oven do you have there for baking?  That crust looks terrific.

CSO

• Like 1

Picked up a well trimmed half eye of round for half price this am on my way into work. Followed @Ann_T's suggestions for the Instant Pot - browned all sides - 4 minutes on high - then sit for an hour. 

IMG_7664.thumb.JPG.5d7f6b6a4c1969b29971a0b9465c89da.JPG

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Picked up a well trimmed half eye of round for half price this am on my way into work. Followed @Ann_T's suggestions for the Instant Pot - browned all sides - 4 minutes on high - then sit for an hour. 

I wasn’t very clear when I sent Kerry the instructions.  This was @Mmmpomps  discovery. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Kerry it wasn't me but  I'm glad you gave it a try.

Looks good.  Was it tender?

Not totally tender - but sliced thin works!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

What was your protocol and was it cooked through in the middle?

Oiled, salted, peppered - put in for 30 min at 350 steam bake then after about 10 minutes changed it over to 450 steam bake for 30 minutes. Cooked through beautifully. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_7675.thumb.JPG.c54dc179c224200569b70feb7d0f5a96.JPG

CSO baked cauliflower.

Thanks for the description.  I feared at first it was some poor patient's organ.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for the description.  I feared at first it was some poor patient's organ.

Yes - it's always best if they don't annoy me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 10/15/2016 at 3:58 PM, IndyRob said:

I've often wondered whether there are laws that govern/limit this sort of thing.  My wife's company built a brand new 11 story downtown office building.  When it was done I joined her for a weekend open-house tour day.  They had a beautiful kitchen area with tons of stainless steel everywhere.  But virtually no appliances.  Refrigerators and microwaves was all.

I've only seen one toaster oven, a few toasters, and a popcorn machine in my entire career.

I think I've finally found a definitive answer to this through a YouTube video.  I can't recall exactly who it was, but it was some organization like Mashable, or Facts, or Buzzfeed who thought they'd do a Chefsteps style video in their offices.  It turns out that they couldn't complete whatever test they were trying to perform, as they managed to set off the building's fire alarm system.

Mercifully, the sprinkler system was not activated, but the video ended with the fire department on site, and what they estimated to be about 400 office dwellers in the street.

3 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

I think I've finally found a definitive answer to this through a YouTube video.  I can't recall exactly who it was, but it was some organization like Mashable, or Facts, or Buzzfeed who thought they'd do a Chefsteps style video in their offices.  It turns out that they couldn't complete whatever test they were trying to perform, as they managed to set off the building's fire alarm system.

Mercifully, the sprinkler system was not activated, but the video ended with the fire department on site, and what they estimated to be about 400 office dwellers in the street.

I suspect my little call room doesn't have a sensitive detector - I've created enough smoke a few times that would have set off my home alarm - with nary a visit from the buff boys!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made 2 loaves of Modernist Lean Bread - one will be for the next shift

IMG_7764.thumb.JPG.714cbcb82b4501dbbbd8e1a151cabfc4.JPG

IMG_7765.thumb.JPG.2ae7fa234be2d5a8833172a4025c3664.JPG

Found some nice marrow bones at Sobey's this am. Perfect with the bread

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

IMG_7797.thumb.JPG.a386e62c8e8f75665e38958f1d34424e.JPG

Found a nice lamb shank. Instant pot 45 minutes high pressure.

IMG_7800.thumb.JPG.1f12136d4e2371b7f99c769f7e505afe.JPG

A bit of mint sauce finished it off!IMG_7801.thumb.JPG.dd1a847eaa91f9aa373ea297b371212e.JPG

also working on a couple of loaves of Pain Rustique - lovely crunchy crust - it sang coming out of the oven

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2