• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

Kerry Beal

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG

Here are my inexpensive pork breasts - after sous vide I steam baked in the CSO for 20 minutes at 400, then glazed with a combination of bulgogi sauce and hoisin sauce (what I found in the fridge) and 350 for another 10 minutes a side. Ate a couple - took the rest out to the nurses station where they were snarfed down rapidly.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

How'd you brown the cauliflower steak? It's so beautiful and even! Gorgeous!

Sautéed in skillet on the induction burner - then popped into the cso steam bake until the purée ready

• Like 3

So last night I arrived for my 12 hours overnight shift and discovered that I had misread my schedule and was to be here for 24 hours. Of course I hadn't brought any food because I wasn't going to need it!

There is a very small freezer and I've put a few things in it over time -

IMG_4067.JPG

So a quick dig through the freezer turned up some brauts with cheese, a cornish game hen. The fridge yielded some salsa, some sour cream and some serrano ham.

The freezer needed a defrost - something I've been thinking about - even brought a hair dryer one day but didn't get around to it. Noticed, with a knife, I was able to pry the ice off in a big chunk - but then couldn't get the chunk out of the freezer. Maintenance guys walked by - talked them into taking the freezer door off to get the ice chunk out.

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG\

Here is the ice.

IMG_4071.JPG\

Ran out to the store this am while some other docs where in the hospital in case any disasters occurred - grabbed a couple of eggs, veg and such - and bottles - to make some of the egg things that are popular on sous vide right now.  

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

Breakfast!

• Like 10

When you get a chance, would you please elaborate on the "egg things that are popular on sous vide right now"? A link, or a general discussion would be helpful for the next time I have an opportunity to play with that toy.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

When you get a chance, would you please elaborate on the "egg things that are popular on sous vide right now"? A link, or a general discussion would be helpful for the next time I have an opportunity to play with that toy.

Starting with this post and following

• Like 1

Lunch yesterday - thawed sous vide - CSO 25 min 425 steam bake with tin foil hat then 25 mins sans hat

IMG_4077.JPG

Then I cleaned its little bones - popped them in the instant pot for stock - cooked some RG Christmas Limas for 20 minutes. then some chopped veg for 3 min  (5 would have been better) and I had a nice soup for dinner - missed pics though.

• Like 7

You'll need to re-stock that little freezer in the event of any future events that keep you there longer than expected. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just started reading this thread today and was reminded of the last place I worked. I couldn't find any knives in the kitchen so I put together a small kit with a chef's knife, cutting board and a small square Cambro (all in a tub with a lid) so that I could prep fresh veggies to be my nibbles. After a couple of days I was told I was in violation of company policy - a firing offense - for having a "weapon" on company property. I removed it and then went to the health and safety person and asked about an amendment to allow kitchen knives in the kitchen.  He had to retire earlier than planned, then my contract ended, so I have no idea if corporate ever changed the policy.

Enjoying the thread so far.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

LOL @Porthos

When my son was in high school I taught him several fundamental cooking techniques, and also bought him a basic knife kit (chef knife, slicer and paring knife) in the industrial plastic-handled Henkels. He was thrilled, and -- since he was in the cooking module at his school -- exclaimed about taking his own knives to the next class. 

"Hey, Warren," I asked him, "Refresh my memory...why was it again that your school was on lockdown last Wednesday?"

"Because some freakin' idiot brought a knife to scho-...oh."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

IMG_4081.JPG

Picked up a pannetone had seven eggs left over from the dozen that I bought. Threw together a quick bread pudding for the staff.in the bargain bin the store the other day for $3.99 - had seven eggs left over from the dozen that I bought. Threw together a quick bread pudding for the staff.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4081.JPG

Picked up a pannetone had seven eggs left over from the dozen that I bought. Threw together a quick bread pudding for the staff.in the bargain bin the store the other day for $3.99 - had seven eggs left over from the dozen that I bought. Threw together a quick bread pudding for the staff.

How far are you into that 24 hour shift?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

OMG. The need to feed. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm working with an NP today who used to be a nurse at the other ER where I work. She reminded me that I used to take creme brûlée out on the ramp with a blow torch when feeding the nurses. Sadly it's become far to busy at that ER to continue those habits. 

• Like 6

Have my leftover soup I made from the carcass of the cornish game hen - seasoned a bit more - added some chopped spinach. A satisfactory dinner.

IMG_4082.JPG

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_4227.jpg.a3b943fdf88f2201dc62ee1bf29a0b8e.jpg

Started out this morning vacuum sealing a couple of hens that were no longer laying - so time to move on to the soup pot. 

IMG_4229.jpg.daaab29651d6530230108604dc74d577.jpg

I brought along a package of beef ribs cooked sous vide for 72 hours. Warmed up with the Joule then browned on induction.

IMG_4231.jpg.9a44cf80a472ff3de25a2460c6d2081c.jpg

Chopped up a celeriac root - roasted for about an hour steam bake.

IMG_4233.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

Sous vide, combi oven, induction. You have a better equipped kitchen in your break room than I have in the kitchen at the restaurant where I work. ¬¬ :D

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4227.jpg.a3b943fdf88f2201dc62ee1bf29a0b8e.jpg

Started out this morning vacuum sealing a couple of hens that were no longer laying - so time to move on to the soup pot. 

IMG_4229.jpg.daaab29651d6530230108604dc74d577.jpg

I brought along a package of beef ribs cooked sous vide for 72 hours. Warmed up with the Joule then browned on induction.

IMG_4231.jpg.9a44cf80a472ff3de25a2460c6d2081c.jpg

Chopped up a celeriac root - roasted for about an hour steam bake.

IMG_4233.jpg

...and?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This is interesting. I work in a building which houses about 4 different departments. I can tell who will get off the elevator at each floor from their clothing, and the kitchenettes on each floor are also very telling. Two floors below me, the kitchenette is crammed with a little table and a couple of chairs, a coffee maker, electric kettle, and small toaster-microwave. My floor's kitchenette has....a handtowel that I put there. I put a chair there, which disappeared from the kitchenette and reappeared on the agenda of the next departmental meeting.

I don't cook anything more exciting than instant couscous in my office, but I do keep an elaborate tea and coffee set-up for visitors...the strawberry pot holds individually wrapped sugar cubes, and the enamel pot holds those individually wrapped Lotus cookies.

ofccoffee.jpg

• Like 7