• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outside the Brown Bag - Taking my Kitchen Toys to Work

Kerry Beal

Yeah - sadly not so slow today.

Brought along a 72 hour short rib package from the freezer - heated it in some warm water. Broiled in CSO. Steam baked sweet potatoes I picked up at the market this am.

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

• Like 6

I would suspect one reason you see fewer appliances other than microwaves in offices, etc., is that most folks have a limited lunch hour and don't have the ability to do prep work, steps, etc., prior to that time. Most places I know where people work 24-hour shifts -- say, fire departments or ambulance services -- there's always something on the stove cooking for dinner.

Will be enjoying this thread as well. One of the things I love about working at home (besides my work uniform of yoga pants and a t-shirt ) is the ability to take time periodically to tend to something in the kitchen, or swap the laundry from the washer to the dryer, that sort of thing.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kerry certainly has expanded the range of ER food.

Used to be pizza and Chinese. And BBQ if somebody made a run to West Philly.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

At all.

IMG_3594.jpg

I had some leftover sweet potato - mixed in an egg, a bit of cream, some milk, strained into a ramekin and steamed at 190 for 40 minutes. 

• Like 5

As I was getting ready to leave this evening - my replacement said "feel free to leave any leftover food" I asked if he had forgotten to bring something (noting that there was a Subway sandwich in his hand) - "nope - I just like your cooking". I've left soup for him before.

I did leave him a small container of the stew. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_3674.jpg

Butternut squash - calcium soaked, then simmered in sugar syrup - heated up and served with a bit of salt for sprinkling. Dropped it a the ER desk - they are working their way through it now.

• Like 4

You talked me into it  but mine is still simmering away.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

It would be a disposable one that I've had around for a few years. Seemed a good size to bring along to work because it fits in the CSO.

We used to use the exact same ones at a place I worked in Edmonton. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3792.jpg

Steamed some artichokes in the CSO at work yesterday as well - 100 minutes at 210º F steam.

How were they?  Richard Olney unequivocally states for artichokes:  "Do not steam."  I have been puzzling over this for half my life.

But then I may just be bitter because my artichoke plants this summer produced no buds.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How were they?  Richard Olney unequivocally states for artichokes:  "Do not steam."  I have been puzzling over this for half my life.

But then I may just be bitter because my artichoke plants this summer produced no buds.

They were just as I expect them to be. I had the time so I didn't bother with the instant pot.

• 2 weeks later...

Brought a few more items to work. 

IMG_3882.jpg

Induction cooktop

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

Hit Value Village and picked up a couple of Ikea non stick skillets and a Lagostina stainless that requires a bit of cleaning.

IMG_3887.jpg

Joule working on it's first batch of bacon.

IMG_3888.jpg

Lunch today - pork chop sous vide - browned in one of the skillets - broccoli steamed in CSO.

• Like 7

@Kerry Beal

You totally shame me. How you jam so much into any single day defies reason!  We both purchased bacon for sv'ing  from the same store at the same time. Mine still languishes in the fridge and I don't have a job!   

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3891.jpg

Sous vide bacon gets a brief cook. Got some nice fresh eggs (the girls have stopped moulting and started laying again) - cooked up with the left over steamed broccoli in bacon grease. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_4025.JPG

A few new items for my batterie de cuisine. 

IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4028.JPG

Grabbed a couple of things at Sobey's on the way to work - pork breast very well priced!

Just trying to decide how long I should sous vide the pork breast for tomorrow - and at what temperature. 

• Like 4