• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Pasta Day 2016 - October 25

JohnT

I am led to believe that World Pasta Day 2016 is to be on Tuesday, October 25 this year. So, with this in mind, what are the eG cooks planning on "cooking up" in celebrating the day?

I will start the ball rolling.

I am going to make my standard egg yoke pasta sheets, rolled out on my now seldom-used manual pasta machine and use them in making lasagna, using my old and reliable bolognese sauce recipe layered with béchamel sauce and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.

And with the left-over egg whites I will make a few meringue bases for portioned pavlova - Spring is here in the Southern Hemisphere and berries and fruit are starting to appear in the shops!

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Who says it's World Pasta Day?

World Pasta Day was brought into existence as part of the World Pasta Congress on the 25th of October in 1995 and has been held on the same day each year since. Experts from all over the world came together to discuss the glories of the noodle, with particular emphasis on the importance of spreading knowledge of the world’s panorama of pasta. This organisation uses World Pasta Day to promote the eating of pasta, along with its cultural and culinary importance.

Everything from encouraging consumers to try new pasta’s to providing important information to institutions and promotions of this increasingly popular food. Every country is encouraged to celebrate the day in their own way, while sharing the logo of the official organisation and participating in the global strategy of World Pasta Day.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Well marketing it may be, but as I dearly love pasta in its many forms, I am delighted to have an excuse to celebrate it, and that is just what I will do. Maybe I will even get up to making Marcella's egg pasta by hand. I have no machines, but I do have a decent rolling pin. Even if I continue on my current lazy course and cook up some of the excellent dried pastas I have on hand, how can I lose? So thanks for the heads up @JohnT.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

7 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Well marketing it may be, but as I dearly love pasta in its many forms, I am delighted to have an excuse to celebrate it, and that is just what I will do. Maybe I will even get up to making Marcella's egg pasta by hand. I have no machines, but I do have a decent rolling pin. Even if I continue on my current lazy course and cook up some of the excellent dried pastas I have on hand, how can I lose? So thanks for the heads up @JohnT.

You need an excuse to eat pasta?

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto