• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ThePieman

ThePieman

I hear you but I think you might be putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. This product is 20cm long and roughly 4-5 cm in diameter, so extrusion effects may impact dough characteristics, but this is not an extruded product its rolled, cut and possibly manually finished. Since the seaming of the dough is straight and not spiralled, I do not think that the product is rolled in a single industrial length and then cut, I believe it is cut to length and then folded/rolled.

Be that as it may, industrial commercial processes being forever interesting for the curious; this product started on a home kitchen bench, and then was scaled up for manual production long before it ever became an industrially machined product. This means that the recipe would have also been modified to meet the demands and rigours of industrial processing. Hence it is no longer an "egg batter dough." Believe it or not, the minutae of this process keeps me tossing and turning all night. Last night more so than usual. Lecithin...

Here are my thoughts. (..and we touch on Molec. Gast. here, woo hoo!  :P) Lecithin is an emulsifying agent, that helps to keep oil suspended in water. When we make shortcrust pastry, we use flour to coat the fat to help suspend it in the flour water dough and keep it in place. If we take this to be a type of deep fried pie dough, a very short dough, then I posit that oil water and lecithin are blended to make a stable emulsion, seasoned flour is then added to the emulsion to form a soft dough, the dough is processed in the normal manner.

If we take this idea back to the home kitchen to explore processes it might replace, the only thing I can think of is using egg yolk to form a mayonaise with the animal fat, thinning that with water to enable a smooth batter to be formed and then thickening that into a soft, pliable dough. I have both lecithin and eggs, so my next step is to see what comes of that. Thanks to one and all for being great sounding boards and helping me to focus better on this topic. I would never have even considered the Chiko Roll to a deep fried tubular "pie," not of emulsifying the fat before making the dough.

ThePieman

ThePieman

I hear you but I think you might be putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. This product is 20cm long and roughly 4-5 cm in diameter, so extrusion effects may impact dough characteristics, but this is not an extruded product its rolled, cut and possibly manually finished. Since the seaming of the dough is straight and not spiralled, I do not think that the product is rolled in a single industrial length and then cut, I believe it is cut to length and then folded/rolled.

Be that as it may, industrial commercial processes being forever interesting for the curious; this product started on a home kitchen bench, and then was scaled up for manual production long before it ever became an industrially machined product. This means that the recipe would have also been modified to meet the demands and rigours of industrial processing. Hence it is no longer an "egg batter dough." Believe it or not, the minutae of this process keeps me tossing and turning all night. Last night more so than usual. Lecithin...

Here are my thoughts. (..and we tough on Molec. Gast. here, woo hoo!  :P) Lecithin is an emulsifying agent, that helps to keep oil suspended in water. When we make shortcrust pastry, we use flour to coat the fat to help suspend it in the flour water dough and keep it in place. If we take this to be a type of deep fried pie dough, a very short dough, then I posit that oil water and lecithin are blended to make a stable emulsion, seasoned flour is then added to the emulsion to form a soft dough, the dough is processed in the normal manner.

If we take this idea back to the home kitchen to explore processes it might replace, the only thing I can think of is using egg yolk to form a mayonaise with the animal fat, thinning that with water to enable a smooth batter to be formed and then thickening that into a soft, pliable dough. I have both lecithin and eggs, so my next step is to see what comes of that. Thanks to one and all for being great sounding boards and helping me to focus better on this topic. I would never have even considered the Chiko Roll to a deep fried tubular "pie," not of emulsifying the fat before making the dough.