• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ThePieman

ThePieman

added a link, changed some text.

8 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

The Chiko roll has an odd look. The end seem very thin, you can see vegetables through the translucent dough, while the long sides are much thicker. 

Thanks Lisa for your thoughts, much appreciated. Yes it is an odd look. I have taken several apart in an attempt to understand it better. I will be posting my own Youtube video of my latest autopsy of one, soon.

The ends are not the same as the main dough. They appear to be a batter made with Semolina (moderately coarse wheat grits used often as a breakfast cereal, or in some Italian type dumplings; call it "Wheat Cereal") – quite possibly nothing more than semolina and egg, but as you say, egg is not in the current list of ingredients.

I've tried doughs using baking soda but was rather quite unsuccessful. The doughs after cooking turned out to be too bread-like and the flavour was just completely wrong. I believe the baking soda is used as an acidity regulator in the cooking of the cabbage, and must be listed since its a food additive.

The Corn Jack dough surface definitely has a different texture. Its more like sandpaper. This leads me to believe that after the dough is made, it is lightly rolled in Semolina.

Why Semolina? Because they don't list Polenta (corn meal of a similar coarseness) corn doesn't get a look-in anywhere. (well... maybe in the Corn Jack...)

ThePieman

ThePieman

8 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

The Chiko roll has an odd look. The end seem very thin, you can see vegetables through the translucent dough, while the long sides are much thicker. 

Thanks Lisa for your thoughts, much appreciated. Yes it is an odd look. I have taken several apart in an attempt to understand it better. I will be posting my own Youtube video of my latest autopsy of one, soon.

The ends are not the same as the main dough. They appear to be a batter made with Semolina (moderately coarse wheat grits used often as a breakfast cereal, or in some Italian type dumplings; call it "Wheat Cereal") – quite possibly nothing more than semolina and egg, but as you say, egg is not in the current list of ingredients.

I've tried doughs using baking soda but was rather quite unsuccessful. The doughs after cooking turned out to be too bread-like and the flavour was just completely wrong. I believe the baking soda is used as an acidity regulator in the cooking of the cabbage, and must be listed since its a food additive.

The Corn Jack dough surface definitely has a different texture. Its more like sandpaper. This leads me to believe that after the dough is made, it is lightly rolled in Semolina.

Why Semolina? Because they don't list Polenta (corn meal of a similar coarseness) corn doesn't get a look-in anywhere. (well... maybe in the Corn Jack...)

ThePieman

ThePieman

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

The ends are not the same as the main dough. They appear to be a batter made with Semolina (moderately coarse wheat grits used often as a breakfast cereal, or in some Italian type dumplings) – quite possibly nothing more than semolina and egg, but as you say, egg is not in the current list of ingredients.