• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ThePieman

ThePieman

Not quite. The dough was quite, bready, which is not characteristic of the original Chiko Roll. Thus whilst the presentation is, "a" take on the Chiko Roll, however it is not a good take, as far as the dough goes. The filling was, for lack of a better word, goood.

As you search the web, you will run up against my past efforts, Baitlayer blog & Villatempest blog, (I don't think I'm spread further than that)  be that as it may, solo work is... solo work and I need help, that's why I'm here.

Australians know the Chiko Roll well. There have been a few, too few, good attempts at this, but nothing really successful and certainly nothing that focuses on the technique associated with the dough – its all about that mysterious filling... (bah, humbug, et al). 

Simply put this is a thickish, deep fried, firm dough that is not bread-like nor is it spring-roll-wrapper-like. It had a solid characteristic about it, insofar as it doesn't shrink/collapse on cooling and it has a moderately airy/spongey/puffed thickness that is slightly doughish on the inside and granularishly crispy on the outside.

The dough, really is the true mystery of this roll. 

Caveats. 

This was invented in 1950's Victoria, Australia, using basic kitchen equipment and knowhow of the time. but to be honest, its really got me beat.

ThePieman

ThePieman

Not quite. The dough was quite, bready, which is not characteristic of the original Chiko Roll. Thus whilst the presentation is, "a" take on the Chiko Roll, however it is not a good take, as far as the dough goes. The filling was, for lack of a better word, goood.

As you search the web, you will run up against my past efforts, Baitlayer blog & Villatempest, (don't think I'm spread further than that)  be that as it may, solo work is... solo work and I need help, that's why I'm here. Australians know the Chiko Roll well. there have been a few, too few good attempts at this, but nothing really successful, and certainly nothing that focuses on the technique associated with the dough – its all about the mysterious filling (bah, humbug, et al). 

Simply put this is a thickish, deep fried, firm dough that is not bread-like not is it spring-roll-wrapper-like. It had a solid characteristic about it, insofar as it doesn't shrink/collapse on cooling and it has a moderately airy/spongey/puffed thickness that is slightly doughish on the inside and granularishly crispy on the outside.

The dough, really is the true mystery of this roll. 

Caveats. 

This was invented in 1950's Victoria, Australia, using basic kitchen equipment and knowhow of the time. but to be honest, its really got me beat.