• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

In the chapter on oysters, there's a recipe for Fried Popcorn Oysters and Kitchen-Sink Mayo.  The oysters get a panko and cornmeal coating and are served with a mayo with more ingredients than you can shake a stick at. 

I don't see any oysters in my near future but decided the panko breaded calamari I picked up at Trader Joe's yesterday would be a fine alternate.  

First, I prepared the garlic confit. Only a tablespoon of this confit was needed for the mayo but I have plans for the rest.

IMG_4099.jpg

Next, I assembled the rest of the ingredients.  The little measuring cup contains lemon juice and the blue-topped container has anchovies. The kitchen sink is just out of the frame to the left :D

IMG_4105.jpg

Edited to add that while I was assembling the above, I was joined in my small kitchen by 3 playful kittens and 2 adult cats, all circling my feet, no doubt attracted by the alluring aroma of anchovy!  

Also, the recipe instructs to blend everything except the vegetable oil in the blender and then transfer to a food processor to slowly add the oil.  I understand the rationale as the initial small volume would not blend to smoothness in a larger food processor but the processor is excellent at adding oil slowly. My small processor bowl is usually my choice for a one-egg mayo but I've made good mayo in my Blendtec Twister jar so that's what I used.  The result is thick and silky smooth.  The recipe says it makes 1.5 cups, my yield was a little over 2 cups. 

And the finished product:

IMG_4109.jpg

That mayo is tasty stuff.  I would like to try it with oysters but I'm not complaining about the calamari.  xD

Edited to add that I'd also like to try it on French fries.  Or maybe anything fried..  Or maybe anything....there are more calamari in the fridge, but really?  No!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

In the chapter on oysters, there's a recipe for Fried Popcorn Oysters and Kitchen-Sink Mayo.  The oysters get a panko and cornmeal coating and are served with a mayo with more ingredients than you can shake a stick at. 

I don't see any oysters in my near future but decided the panko breaded calamari I picked up at Trader Joe's yesterday would be a fine alternate.  

First, I prepared the garlic confit. Only a tablespoon of this confit was needed for the mayo but I have plans for the rest.

IMG_4099.jpg

Next, I assembled the rest of the ingredients.  The little measuring cup contains lemon juice and the blue-topped container has anchovies. The kitchen sink is just out of the frame to the left :D

IMG_4105.jpg

Edited to add that while I was assembling the above, I was joined in my small kitchen by 3 playful kittens and 2 adult cats, all circling my feet, no doubt attracted by the alluring aroma of anchovy!  

Also, the recipe instructs to blend everything except the vegetable oil in the blender and then transfer to a food processor to slowly add the oil.  I understand the rationale as the initial small volume would not blend to smoothness in a larger food processor but the processor is excellent at adding oil slowly. My small processor bowl is usually my choice for a one-egg mayo but I've made good mayo in my Blendtec Twister jar so that's what I used.  The result is thick and silky smooth.  The recipe says it makes 1.5 cups, my yield was a little over 2 cups. 

IMG_4109.jpg

That mayo is tasty stuff.  I would like to try it with oysters but I'm not complaining about the calamari.  xD

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg