• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I don't know what wood chips cost  ' for indoors smokers '

but Home Depo has them for the BBQ  and they are the same and probably near you and much cheaper ;

http://www.homedepot.com/s/bbq%20wood%20chips?NCNI-5

all you have to do is not to use too many , and then seal the ' pot ' tightly and when the remaining wood chips go out and cool , store in a zip lock , perhaps in you

garage or similar if they then are very aromatic after some time in the HD zip lock bag

Ive done a lot of woodworking and used my own chips on grills etc 

just use fruit wood and you will be find.    the smoke does smell different   i.e. cherry , apple   but your smelling smoke  and in the smoked item the wood

difference is less pronounced.    Hickory is fairly strong smoke.  Mesquite perhaps the strongest.

rotuts

rotuts

I don't know what wood chips cost  ' for indoors smokers '

but Home Depo has them for the BBQ  and they are the same and probably near you and much cheaper ;

http://www.homedepot.com/s/bbq%20wood%20chips?NCNI-5

all you have to do is not to use too many , and then seal the ' pot ' tightly and when the remaining wood chips go out and cool , store in a zip lock , perhaps in you

garage or similar if they then are very aromatic after some time in the HD zip lock bag

Ive done a lot of woodworking and used my own chips on grills etc 

just use fruit wood and you will be find.    the smoke does smell different   i.e. cherry , apple   but your smelling smoke  and in the smoked item the wood

difference is less pronounced.    Hickory is fairly strong smoke.