• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The recipe titled "Breakfast in the Car" makes a vanilla pecan butter that's used to make roll-ups with flattened whole wheat bread and sliced banana.  

Since I didn't need to eat this in the car, I toasted the multigrain bread and added a drizzle of hot honey to my version.  

Today's second breakfast:

IMG_3971.jpg

Tasty stuff, that vanilla pecan butter!

Edited to add that I made the nut butter in my Blendtec with the Twister jar.  It's a perfect tool for nut butters.  The recipe called for 1/2 a vanilla bean.  I can taste the vanilla but wouldn't mind more.  No doubt this is partially due to a measuring issue that could have been avoided with weights instead of cups.  The recipe called for 2 cups of pecans.  I had pecan halves and pieces so I used a little less but still wound up with a full cup of nut butter when the recipe estimated a yield of 1/2 cup.  Finally, pecans are rather pricy these days (I notice Trader Joe's is offering only 1/2 lb bags, no doubt to lessen the sticker-shock) so pecan butter is unlikely to become a pantry staple for me but I'll enjoy this while I have it.  Should be delish smeared on tart, crisp apple slices.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The recipe titled "Breakfast in the Car" makes a vanilla pecan butter that's used to make roll-ups with flattened whole wheat bread and sliced banana.  

Since I didn't need to eat this in the car, I toasted the multigrain bread and added a drizzle of hot honey to my version.  

Today's second breakfast:

IMG_3971.jpg

Tasty stuff, that vanilla pecan butter!