• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

15 minutes ago, Wayne said:

I still have not had a look at the book yet however I went online to re-watch the collards episode.

To make a long story short her use of blanched trimmed collards as a wrap for dolmades piqued my interest and I ended up using them as a substitute wrap for lotus leaf wrapped sticky rice with a chicken, pork, mushroom and greens filling. The collards were trimmed, briefly blanched, shocked then used to wrap the parcels. Parcels then steamed 15 minutes to finish.

Results: The collards looked great however I did find them still tough. In the episode the dolmades were steamed for even less time yet seemed to be an easy bite.  I wouldn't do it again however I think substituting collards for cabbage in a braised cabbage roll would work quite well. I've got a lot of collards.

I plan on trying the tomato pie as I'm still pulling lots of tomatoes from the garden. Looks great from up-thread photos.

I am suspecting that the variety of collard that is available to us in Ontario is very different from the cabbage collard that she is using.  She goes into some detail about this in the book.  

Edited to say but since you are growing your own perhaps you are growing the same variety.  

Anna N

Anna N

13 minutes ago, Wayne said:

I still have not had a look at the book yet however I went online to re-watch the collards episode.

To make a long story short her use of blanched trimmed collards as a wrap for dolmades piqued my interest and I ended up using them as a substitute wrap for lotus leaf wrapped sticky rice with a chicken, pork, mushroom and greens filling. The collards were trimmed, briefly blanched, shocked then used to wrap the parcels. Parcels then steamed 15 minutes to finish.

Results: The collards looked great however I did find them still tough. In the episode the dolmades were steamed for even less time yet seemed to be an easy bite.  I wouldn't do it again however I think substituting collards for cabbage in a braised cabbage roll would work quite well. I've got a lot of collards.

I plan on trying the tomato pie as I'm still pulling lots of tomatoes from the garden. Looks great from up-thread photos.

I am suspecting that the variety of collard that is available to us in Ontario is very different from the cabbage collard that she is using.  She goes into some detail about this in the book.