• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Wayne

Wayne

I still have not had a look at the book however I went online to re-watch the collards episode.

To make a long story short her use of blanched trimmed collards as a wrap for dolmades piqued my interest and I ended up using them as a substitute wrap for lotus leaf wrapped sticky rice with a chicken, pork, mushroom and greens filling. The collards were trimmed, briefly blanched, shocked then used to wrap the parcels. Parcels then steamed 15 minutes to finish.

Results: The collards looked great however I did find them still tough. In the episode the dolmades were steamed for even less time yet seemed to be an easy bite.  I wouldn't do it again however I think substituting collards for cabbage in a braised cabbage roll would work quite well. I've got a lot of collards.

I plan on trying the tomato pie as I'm still pulling lots of tomatoes from the garden. Looks great from up-thread photos.

Wayne

Wayne

I still have not had a look at the book yet however I went online to re-watch the collards episode.

To make a long story short her use of blanched trimmed collards as a wrap for dolmades piqued my interest and I ended up using them as a substitute wrap for lotus leaf wrapped sticky rice with a chicken, pork, mushroom and greens filling. The collards were trimmed, briefly blanched, shocked then used to wrap the parcels. Parcels then steamed 15 minutes to finish.

Results: The collards looked great however I did find them still tough. In the episode the dolmades were steamed for even less time yet seemed to be an easy bite.  I wouldn't do it again however I think substituting collards for cabbage in a braised cabbage roll would work quite well. I've got a lot of collards.

I plan on trying the tomato pie as I'm still pulling lots of tomatoes from the garden. Looks great from up-thread photos.