• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

My library just got the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Run-Roots-Stories-Recipes/dp/0316381101

Its Vivian Howard's Cookbook, its a companion to ' A Chef's Life '  which if you have not seen it is not a Kitchen-Cooking show  etc with emphasis on North Carolina Cooking

and culture.

F.D.:  Im not a cookbook reviewer in the sense that i make several Rx's and evaluate them before I comment.

I do read a lot of cookbooks , so I have an average idea on what's a bit different and unusual.  Ill never be able to help anyone with baking or cooking times etc  Sooo ...

this is a large tome.   561 pages on quality stock.     the pictures complement the RX's and keep you interested in them.   this is not a coffee table book

VH has talked a lot about creating this book on her show.  

I like the book.  there are many Rx's that seem just a little bit unusual to me.  They reflect her area of the county not mine :

Sweet Potato and Turkey Shepherd's Pie    pp 318

Sausage-Stuffed Honey Buns   pp 376

Pecan-Chewy Pie   pp 137

Fried Yams with Five-Spice Maple Bacon Candy    pp 326                              and of course :

Pork Shoulder Steaks in Red Curry Braised Watermelon     pp  95

I like the book . no doubt this winter i will make all of the above, and the Watermelon item next spring.  

it also seems to have a well thought out index and is not a simple afterthought mis-mash.

I hope you see it in a bookstore if they still

exist in your area , or your library system gets a copy.

rotuts

rotuts

Its Vivian Howard's Cookbook, not so much a companion to ' A Chef's Life '  which if you have not seen it is not a Kitchen-Cooking show  etc

F.D.:  Im not a cookbook reviewer in the sense that i make several Rx's and evaluate them/

I do read a lot of cookbooks , so I have an average idea on what's a bit different and unusual.  Ill never be able to help anyone with baking or cooking times etc  Sooo ...

this is a large tome.   561 pages on quality stock.     the pictures complement the RX's and keep you interested in them.   this is not a coffee table book

I like the book.  there are many Rx's that seem just a little bit unusual to me :

Pecan-Chewy Pie   pp 137

Fried Yams with Five-Spice Maple Bacon Candy    pp 326                              and of course :

I like the book . no doubt this winter all make all of the above, and the Watermelon item next spring.  

it also seems to have a well thought out index which is not a simple afterthought.

I hope you see it in a bookstore if they still

rotuts

rotuts

Its Vivian Howard's Cookbook, not so much a companion to ' A Chef's Life '  which if you have not seen it is not a Kitchen-Cooking show  etc

F.D.:  Im not a cookbook reviewer in the sense that i make several Rx's and evaluate them/

I like the book.  there are many Rx's that seem just a little bit unusual to me :

Pecan-Chewy Pie   pp 137

I like the book . no doubt this winter all make all of the above, and the Watermelon item next spring.   I hope you see it in a bookstore if they still