• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arby's - The Topic

Toliver

I was floored to see that Arby's was offering, for a limited time only, a Smokehouse Pork Belly Sandwich (click). O.o  In a fast food restaurant?

Has anyone tried it?  Their Smokehouse Brisket sandwich looks good, as well.

This is ain't my Dad's Arby's! Someone at Arby's is certainly changing things up.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I tried the smokehouse brisket sandwich a while back, it's okay at the best. The meat was quite tender but really lacked smoke flavor. The price difference I'd rather have their original.

Of course now they have Italian and gyro sandwiches which is certainly getting away from their classic styles. Haven't tried either of them and don't plan on it.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 3 weeks later...

We tried it, could have done without the cheese but otherwise very tasty. DH works for Tyson who is the processor for making Arby's roast beef and other meats. Yesterday he brought home a 10 pound piece of Arby's roast beef that was already cooked. Hopefully Tyson will give employees some of that pork belly next month!

I haven't eaten at an Arby's in decades. I just never cared for their "meats" which were processed and pressed rather than roasted and sliced real meat. My husband stopped at an Arby's a year or so ago when he was traveling and raved about whichever sandwich he had. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Maybe I will breakdown and give them another try the next time fast food is a consideration--although I don't go for fast food very often.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

15 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I haven't eaten at an Arby's in decades. I just never cared for their "meats" which were processed and pressed rather than roasted and sliced real meat. My husband stopped at an Arby's a year or so ago when he was traveling and raved about whichever sandwich he had. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Maybe I will breakdown and give them another try the next time fast food is a consideration--although I don't go for fast food very often.

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember when Arby's had real roasted meat, sliced to order. It was really good back then.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

On 10/28/2016 at 1:28 PM, Chris Hennes said:

I've had the pork belly -- I thought the cheese on it was superfluous, but otherwise liked the sandwich.

I've questioned the cheese on a pork sandwich, as well. I guess because it's fast food they're thinking "We'll just throw some cheese on it. People like cheese, don't cha think?". Maybe not so much...

• Like 3

Tim Oliver

On 11/2/2016 at 0:34 PM, GlorifiedRice said:

Well, that's saying something, isn't it? I wonder if it depends on the location/area? I don't think deer meat would go over so well out here.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, GlorifiedRice said:

The photo of the sandwich accompanying the article looks pretty decent. If it was offered here I'd be tempted to try one.

• Like 1

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

14 hours ago, Toliver said:

Well, that's saying something, isn't it? I wonder if it depends on the location/area? I don't think deer meat would go over so well out here.

You might be surprised, Toliver. There's no shortage of "foodies"/food curious folks in California.

I'd certainly give it a try, now that my source of local venison and striped bass has moved out of the neighborhood, if it were offered here at a local Arby's.

I can't resist saying that my ex-neighbor was on the cover of a fishing magazine for her skills after she won a tournament. I'm not enough of a fishing nerd to recall which one (they're all small circulation). It was a very big deal around here, though, and I sure enjoyed the bounty for the many years it lasted. :) 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 11 months later...
On 10/26/2016 at 2:57 PM, GlorifiedRice said:

Arby's is adding deer meat/venison to its menu http://6abc.cm/2eSiuzm

The article:

"Arby's Is Bringing Back Its Venison Sandwich"

And this year they're adding elk. O.o

Added emphasis is mine:

Arby’s is bringing back its limited edition venison sandwich, and this time it’s going to be available nationwide...

...The chain is also launching a new elk sandwich, which rolls out Oct. 21 as well, and will be available at three locations only — one each in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

My DW and I recently stopped at an Arby's that had dreadful service, a half an hour for a 2-sandwich order. That issue aside, we were struck by the overblown, trying to be too many things for too many people menu. The only thing they sell that I stop for normally are dragon's eggs, better known as Jalepeno Bites or such.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

In the old days at Arby's, they used to sell potato cakes/triangles for their breakfast. They totally rocked. 

Alas, they stopped selling them. These days the Arby's around here don't even do breakfast. 

Coincidentally(?), you can't even find potato triangles in the freezer section of your grocery stores, either. :( Those Ore-Ida bastards are to blame! >:(xD

I will stop by Arby's once in a blue moon when I get a hankering for their Jamocha Shakes.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:53 PM, Toliver said:

In the old days at Arby's, they used to sell potato cakes/triangles for their breakfast. They totally rocked. 

Alas, they stopped selling them. These days the Arby's around here don't even do breakfast. 

Coincidentally(?), you can't even find potato triangles in the freezer section of your grocery stores, either. :( Those Ore-Ida bastards are to blame! >:(xD

Must just be a California thing, probably California declare the potato triangles carcinogenic or something stupid like that. They still have them around here and also still serve breakfast around here. I've never looked for the potato triangles in the grocery store however. I do agree that they very much like Ore-Ida Potato Crowns & Potato Tots whether they are made by Ore-Ida or not I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

On 11/2/2016 at 3:34 PM, GlorifiedRice said:

^^^Arby's sells out of venison sandwiches on first day (with pics)

I saw something elsewhere - unfortunately in a place I can't recall - that the whole 'we sold out' thing was sort of a set-up.  They only stocked enough product to sell 70 sandwiches a day.

A quote from the linked article seems to confirm...

UPDATE: ... The Arby's on Rosa Parks Blvd. sold out of venison sandwiches on the first day, effectively ending the promotion that was scheduled to continue through Nov. 3.

"We stuck a nerve, in a good way, with hunters," said Luke DeRouen of Arby's, confirming that the Nashville location went through more than 250 sandwiches in 5 hours. "Some people drove from an hour away to try it," he said.

So they sold 250 sandwiches in 5 hours and are now out for the rest of the promotion.

Hey wait, this article was from last year. xD

Oh well, probably the same routine this year.

• Haha 1

With the deer overpopulation only increasing, anything that gets people eating them is only going to lessen the burden on the roadkill pickup crews.  They've got no predators other than cars nowadays.  Will have to see where the nearest Arbys is and pay them a visit.

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

On 10/30/2017 at 9:50 AM, cdh said:

With the deer overpopulation only increasing, anything that gets people eating them is only going to lessen the burden on the roadkill pickup crews.  They've got no predators other than cars nowadays.  Will have to see where the nearest Arbys is and pay them a visit.

Except that around my parts, you can't just carry off a deer that you hit with a car. You need to wait for the police or warden to come by—their concern is poaching.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Here a person can harvest a roadkill deer, elk, moose or.antelope if they download a free permit within 24 hours.

More than 800 permits were issued in the first year.(this state has a very small population)

• 9 months later...

"Arby's Just Added Slow-Smoked Beef Short Rib to Its Menu"

Arby’s is beefing up its menu with three new meaty munchies.

For a limited time only, fast food fanatics across the U.S. will find slow-smoked beef short rib on two sandwiches and curly fries as part of the Smokehouse lineup.

I've seen the television commercials and it looks very good.

Has anyone tried it?

Tim Oliver