• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

"wiffit"?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Kerry brought a colleague home to join us at lunch.  She, the colleague, very wisely brought her own lunch!  Slims pickings today on Water Street. Still both Kerry and I managed to feed ourselves. She made something with eggs and I made this

image.jpeg

Romaine that was wilting in the fridge, some wizened mushrooms, a few slices of bacon and some cherry tomatoes.  I deglazed the pan with some white wine as a dressing -- the vinegars appear to be packed. I washed it down with more white wine.  That much wine in the middle of the day necessitated a nap!  I am just now coming around. Kerry is still at work. My conscience is pricking but not much.:)

It is always a good idea to cook (dress the salad) with the wine that you would like to drink.  It is even better to actually drink the wine that you cooked with.  When I grow up, I want to be like @Anna N

• Like 10

Thanks to all for your good wishes. It is just after 6 AM and I am finishing up my first coffee. Nothing else is stirring in the house and with all our stuff put away it seems to echo.  I finished up the bottle of white wine last night which was probably not best idea I have ever had but I don't seem to have to come to much harm this morning. 

We may meet up with another Society member somewhere along the Bruce Peninsula. He is heading north on that route while we are heading south and if all goes well we could meet up for a short visit. 

We plan a brief stop in Owen Sound for some retail therapy.

We will keep posting occasionally until we reach home this evening.    

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If you are following Hwy. 6 through Arthur I'd suggest a stop at http://www.goatmilkproducts.ca/index.php

They are a short 2-3 minute detour east on Hwy. 109 and are a working farm with a retail shop so I usually give them a call

to insure the shop is open.

They make some nice cheeses (their website is hopelessly out of date) and allow sampling.

Their 'Like Stilton' and 'MD' (Mason's Delight) are my favorites.

• Like 3

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

19 minutes ago, Wayne said:

If you are following Hwy. 6 through Arthur I'd suggest a stop at http://www.goatmilkproducts.ca/index.php

They are a short 2-3 minute detour east on Hwy. 109 and are a working farm with a retail shop so I usually give them a call

to insure the shop is open.

They make some nice cheeses (their website is hopelessly out of date) and allow sampling.

Their 'Like Stilton' and 'MD' (Mason's Delight) are my favorites.

Shall check it out if time allows.

This one went too fast but it was fun and you two are probably happy to be getting back to your homes. Safe trip.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

This one went too fast but it was fun and you two are probably happy to be getting back to your homes. Safe trip.

It's always too short when you spend all your time thinking about how you are going to have to repack that closet!

• Like 5

Maybe more refurb to come.

From this article, 'Smooth sailing for Chi-Cheemaun with steady increase in passengers':

The Chi-Cheemaun ferry itself will be undergoing a multi-million-dollar makeover this winter, focused on refurbishing the lounge areas inside the ship. 

Edited to add:  And more: Lake Huron ferry undergoes three years of renovations

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5

They need to fix the width of the shelf where you pay - trays go south. Apparently they fixed the same issue in front of the hot food  service where people's trays kept going to ground!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Home at last!  It was a long day. We stopped in Owen Sound for a short but pleasant visit with member @mkayaharaand stopped again at the goat farm in Arthur, River's Edge Goat Dairy recommended by member @Wayne.   I will leave Kerry to tell you more about this visit but I will tell you that I came home with some chevre, some goat blue cheese and some goat stewing meat. 

Our last meal for this trip was probably the worst. We pulled into an A&W drive-through. I had a chubby chicken with onion rings and Kerry had a grilled chicken and asked for the sauce to be changed from ranch to honey-mustard. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A dreadful waste of calories. But I'm sure most of you have been there.  You're tired and hungry and just want something fast.  Like a third or fourth marriage fast food is the triumph of hope over experience.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Glad we took @Wayne's advice and stopped at River's Edge Goat Dairy. Thought we were just getting there in time but apparently as long as it's light they are working.

Enjoyed the barn tour - the cat is enjoying the smell of my shoes and clothes.

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

The old girl in the middle is the one on their label pictures. She's in retirement. 

IMG_3464.jpg

Look at this lovely girl - mother a meat goat, father a dairy goat - horn on one side that swirls! Apparently an excellent milk producer.

IMG_3466.jpg

The goats go up the stairs to be milked. They have their favourite spots and fuss if they don't get them. 

IMG_3467.jpg

Came home with a couple of containers of milk and some chèvre. 

• Like 12