• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

Love the copious grinds of pepper you use, Anna.  I too am a big fan.  Especially with meat.

It is a nippy morning in Thornhill, so I can only imagine how cold you gals are up North!  Any white stuff yet!? ;)

Safe travels.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Love the copious grinds of pepper you use, Anna.  I too am a big fan.  Especially with meat.

It is a nippy morning in Thornhill, so I can only imagine how cold you gals are up North!  Any white stuff yet!? ;)

Safe travels.

Well according to the weather network it's 16° and sunny. I can vouch for the sun but I'm not sticking my nose out to check on the temperature. We still have two days here, today and tomorrow, and will be taking the ferry on Friday morning.  I expect we will get up to something today but tomorrow will likely be devoted to packing once Kerry finishes at the clinic.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

The fridge contained some green beans cooked with tomato - made the same night as the roasted cauliflower. Not to let them go to waste I had them stand in for shakshuka for breakfast. Few bits of left over pork roast in there to 'season' it. Was very surprised I was able to get it out into a bowl successfully. 

• Like 17

Always a sad day when you need to pack up the liquor cabinet!

IMG_3423.jpg

Tomorrow's Little Italy (perhaps better called a Little Canada) - jarred and ready to pour tomorrow.

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Next summer's 'barrel' aged negroni. 

• Like 12

I feel blessed to have you and Anna as friends who take me and others along on your Manitoulin trips. Thank you and Anna for again sharing your adventures with us.

• Like 12

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Next summer's 'barrel' aged negroni. 

I greatly admire such optimistic spirit - I have difficulty purchasing bananas for next week if they are too green, let alone making a cocktail for next summer!

And another thank you for taking us along.  I've enjoyed the trip, as I always do.

• Like 1

Yes, it's been lovely - as always.  I liked the cocktail name 'Voyageur' - very appropriate for your location - but it made me think of 'Bon Voyage'.  Is there such a drink? If not, you should invent it for these occasions.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I greatly admire such optimistic spirit - I have difficulty purchasing bananas for next week if they are too green, let alone making a cocktail for next summer!

And another thank you for taking us along.  I've enjoyed the trip, as I always do.

You must understand the angst we suffer – if when we arrive and everything is crammed in the closet – and we can't get to the booze for a day or two.  Not being able to get to the good knives is difficult enough. Putting a couple of bottles of premixed cocktails on the floor at the front of the closet is the difference between sanity and insanity.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

wonderful trip.

many thanks for sharing.

a few days to go ?

Today only as we are booked on the Chi-Cheemaun which departs from South Baymouth at 11:10 tomorrow. It's about an hour's drive and the ferry people like you in the line up an hour ahead of departure. So by 9 am we should be on our way. Kerry is already squirreling away our booze as I sip my second coffee.  

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Looking around the townhouse I am beginning to suspect that Kerry spent most of the night whittling away at the packing.  We seem to be much further ahead than we usually are about this time. She has gone off to work at the Little Current clinic  and I am packing away my few bits and pieces to take back home.  Breakfast for me was the rest of the beet and orange salad with a drizzle of dressing (too messy for a photograph.  Anld then to do my bit to empty the refrigerator I had this:

image.jpeg

A reheated lamb chop awash with mint sauce.  Somebody has to do the dirty work.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry brought a colleague home to join us at lunch.  She, the colleague, very wisely brought her own lunch!  Slims pickings today on Water Street. Still both Kerry and I managed to feed ourselves. She made something with eggs and I made this

image.jpeg

Romaine that was wilting in the fridge, some wizened mushrooms, a few slices of bacon and some cherry tomatoes.  I deglazed the pan with some white wine as a dressing -- the vinegars appear to be packed. I washed it down with more white wine.  That much wine in the middle of the day necessitated a nap!  I am just now coming around. Kerry is still at work. My conscience is pricking but not much.:)

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog