• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

That hairy monster may mark the end of a long and lovely friendship.  We have one melon. I want to make soup. Kerry wants to stuff it.  I may tell her where before this saga is over. xDxDxD

Judgement of Solomon: split it lengthwise, stuff half and cut the other half up for soup. :D Although, I can't really get a sense of scale as to how big the thing is from the picture... maybe it's too small for that approach.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sharing 4 apps at Respect is Burning in Sudbury

IMG_3277.JPG

meatballs with porkbelly in the sauce 

IMG_3278.JPG

caesar salad with warm lardons 

IMG_3279.JPG

crispy mushroom salad

IMG_3280.JPG

mussels with  a chili sauce 

IMG_3281.JPG

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

That hairy monster may mark the end of a long and lovely friendship.  We have one melon. I want to make soup. Kerry wants to stuff it.  I may tell her where before this saga is over. xDxDxD

The solution to your one melon dilemma : use 1/3 for soup 'cos that's all you'd need for soup for two, especially if you add tofu. Stuff the other 2/3 and use it for the main course. Add the leftover meat stuffing into the soup!
Now, come out, shake that melon, and get cooking!:P

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Breakfast at Maranatha in Espanola - not a fancy place!

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

Look carefully. Is the dog looking at the sky or over his shoulder?

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

How were the meatballs with pork belly???  I'm starving.  I think I would have been face down in that bowl lol.

Quite yummy! Meatballs with meat sauce - what's not to love?

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Look carefully. Is the dog looking at the sky or over his shoulder?

Yes.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Was that Keurig a thrift shop find?  If so, I'm jealous.

Yup - it was Sally Anne and it was half price electrical appliance day. They had two Keurigs - both labelled as tested and working. This way we can leave one up here saving Anna the trouble of bringing her little one. And it makes larger cups.

• Like 4

In the next to the last photograph, right in the center, is a bag of potatoes that Kerry was able to find. These are a new breed of low G.I. potatoes. 

Click

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

What a fun haul from your day's shopping!  I wish I had a thrift-store-shopping buddy within easy distance.  It would be more fun.  Come to think of it, it would also be more expensive. Maybe it's a good thing my thrift-store buddies live far away.  xD

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

how do those low GI spuds taste ?

I was surprised to learn that IP'ing potatoes , letting them cool   changes the GI

ie  for potato salad.    they can then be reheated w that lower GI.

that the index actually is for these IP'd potatoes I can't say.

any data on the Aussie index ?   window dressing ?

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

how do those low GI spuds taste ?

I was surprised to learn that IP'ing potatoes , letting them cool   changes the GI

ie  for potato salad.    they can then be reheated w that lower GI.

that the index actually is for these IP'd potatoes I can't say.

any data on the Aussie index ?   window dressing ?

Article from CBC - GI appears to be 53 vs 77 for 'regular' potatoes (not sure if GI different for waxy vs russets).

• Like 1

Very slow start this morning though it looks to be a beautiful day. image.jpeg

not a very interesting breakfast. "Chewbacca" stuck under the broiler of the CSO and then some butter and some store-bought apricot jam. 

Hoping to accomplish a few things today including stuffing that damned melon and making some chicken soup. We shall see how it goes. I am very partial to Ming Tsai's  pork and shrimp filling for potstickers and think I will use that to stuff the melon and perhaps some of the banana peppers.   So I'm off to the kitchen to see how much trouble I can get into today.  Kerry has gone off to work  but will come home as soon as she has cleared out the ER waiting room.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

I wish I had a thrift-store-shopping buddy within easy distance.  It would be more fun.  Come to think of it, it would also be more expensive.

This week's thrift shopping saw me in six stores. I spent 50 cents in one store. That's it. Now if my DW had been with me ...

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

So I donned the finest surgical gloves that money can't buy and attacked the hairy monster.

image.jpeg

I had already made up of filling of pork and shrimp which we had taste tested. So I dusted the inside of the rings with cornstarch and filled them with the stuffing.

image.jpeg

I chose not to mince the shrimp but to keep it in pieces that at least you knew it was shrimp.

image.jpeg

There was still an awful lot of filling left so I made an attempt at filling the banana peppers which we will also try to steam.

That still left some filling so  I made meatballs and poached a few of them and some chicken soup but I suspect we will steam the remaining ones.   I also put some cut up melon in the soup but it is completely tasteless and has no texture hardly at all.

image.jpeg

The chicken soup served as my lunch but it was not particularly good. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog