• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

image.jpeg

So I made dinner tonight and it seemed like it was going to be a complete disaster. The green beans with tomatoes refused to cook and I had a note in my "kitchen notes" notebook attesting to the fact that even green beans would have no truck with tomatoes.  I knew that there were many recipes around for green beans and tomatoes so I was puzzled and remain puzzled. However after I moved them to a smaller pot and spent some time cleaning the charred remains from my original vessel of choice they turned out to be quite tasty. 

I cut the cauliflower a little thicker than my preference but once smothered in kimchi cream I had no complaints. 

From the amount of liquid that leached out of the chicken thighs I suspect they were victims of the dastardly practice of salt-water injection.  But in the end I got to sit down to a hot meal!  Kerry didn't. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

sooo 

I know about the green bottle on the L of this pic :

???.jpg

so what's the bottle some what like

Benedictine on the R ?

It's Benedictine. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Now for the rest of the pickage.  Not being a gardener I am clueless as to some of these things and their uses.  I recognize their main families (peppers and tomatoes) of course not sure what place they have in those families.

image.jpeg

The small tomatoes in the back look like Chocolate Sprinkles - very NOT ripe Chocolate Sprinkles. When ripe they are brown and red striped and delicious.  These look like they need time on a sunny windowsill to ripen.

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@ElainaA

Shall move the teeny tomatoes to a sunny window sill. Thank you. Still have no idea what to do with the banana peppers.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@ElainaA

Shall move the teeny tomatoes to a sunny window sill. Thank you. Still have no idea what to do with the banana peppers.  

They can be used anywhere you'd use any other mild pepper. They're tasty pickled too. At the risk of spoiling potential surprises, though it's very unlikely, beware of the possible evil banana pepper. I bought a batch of banana peppers at a roadside stand once and they were HOT. Like, face burning hot where I touched skin after cutting them up because they were, in the words of the person who grew them, "mild and sweet" so I wasn't worried about not touching skin. I'm a fan of hot peppers so it wouldn't have been a problem had I known. The surprise was unpleasant. Still not sure how the innocent banana peppers wound up being hot though. The only thing I can think of is maybe they were saving seeds from previous crops and they somehow cross pollinated with a hot variety and produced hot offspring in the next generation. Not really sure if that can even happen though.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@ElainaA

The banana peppers are really good stuffed with a spicy pork mince mixture and baked.

• Like 2

Yay! Another Manitoulin adventure! Still got the Big Easy set up?

As for the "fuzzy Melon / Hairy Squash, it can be used in soup as suggested up- thread. It's pretty bland, but I often add re-hydrated shitaki mushrooms to the soup, or throw in some crab meat, or tufu. Ground pork with shrimp made into small meat balls is also a great addition.

Cut the melon into rounds, hollow out the seeds if any, and stuff with a mixture of ground pork and shitaki mushrooms. Lightly coat the meat surface with cornstarch and pan fry then braise in chicken stock with a drizzle of oyster sauce until the melon is tender and the meat mixture is cooked.

It's good if you are stir-frying fun-see (mung bean thread) with char siu, or re-hydrated dried shrimp, or any leftover cooked meat.  Slices of Lap cheung (Chinese sausage) adds great flavour to this dish. Julienne the melon for this dish.

Show us what you did with this monster;-)

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

At the risk of spoiling potential surprises, though it's very unlikely, beware of the possible evil banana pepper.

It's a good policy with any peppers (well, maybe not bell peppers) to taste a little bit before use. I've had banana peppers that blew the top of my head off, and jalapenos that tasted like green bell peppers.

• Like 5

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3261.jpg

Widow's Kiss for Anna. SFA for me (actually not true - cup of tea for me).

Widow's Kiss, Kerry?  Where is the picture of the yellow Chartreuse bottle?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Widow's Kiss, Kerry?  Where is the picture of the yellow Chartreuse bottle?

My bad - Anna read out the ingredients to me - I totally ignored the yellow part. Good thing too - don't have any up here!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

They can be used anywhere you'd use any other mild pepper. They're tasty pickled too. At the risk of spoiling potential surprises, though it's very unlikely, beware of the possible evil banana pepper. I bought a batch of banana peppers at a roadside stand once and they were HOT. Like, face burning hot where I touched skin after cutting them up because they were, in the words of the person who grew them, "mild and sweet" so I wasn't worried about not touching skin. I'm a fan of hot peppers so it wouldn't have been a problem had I known. The surprise was unpleasant. Still not sure how the innocent banana peppers wound up being hot though. The only thing I can think of is maybe they were saving seeds from previous crops and they somehow cross pollinated with a hot variety and produced hot offspring in the next generation. Not really sure if that can even happen though.

Had the same experience. Banana peppers growing next to hot peppers came out lethally hot.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

My bad - Anna read out the ingredients to me - I totally ignored the yellow part. Good thing too - don't have any up here!

Still enjoyed it!  Colour me cocktail challenged. 

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

Yay! Another Manitoulin adventure! Still got the Big Easy set up?

As for the "fuzzy Melon / Hairy Squash, it can be used in soup as suggested up- thread. It's pretty bland, but I often add re-hydrated shitaki mushrooms to the soup, or throw in some crab meat, or tufu. Ground pork with shrimp made into small meat balls is also a great addition.

Cut the melon into rounds, hollow out the seeds if any, and stuff with a mixture of ground pork and shitaki mushrooms. Lightly coat the meat surface with cornstarch and pan fry then braise in chicken stock with a drizzle of oyster sauce until the melon is tender and the meat mixture is cooked.

It's good if you are stir-frying fun-see (mung bean thread) with char siu, or re-hydrated dried shrimp, or any leftover cooked meat.  Slices of Lap cheung (Chinese sausage) adds great flavour to this dish. Julienne the melon for this dish.

Show us what you did with this monster;-)

That hairy monster may mark the end of a long and lovely friendship.  We have one melon. I want to make soup. Kerry wants to stuff it.  I may tell her where before this saga is over. xDxDxD

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3263.jpg

Put together some peanut clusters this am to take to Sudbury for the folks at Stop Restaurant Supply - wouldn't dare show up without something.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, heidih said:

Anna - those little tomatoes look like green heirlooms so I would taste one and see if ready to eat versus needing ripening

I agree.  I have purchased heirlom ones that look like that at the market and they have wonderful flavour.

My goodness we are both on the ball this morning! I just took a photograph of the peanut clusters only to discover that Kerry had already posted them while I was getting ready to spend the day in Sudbury.   She has gone off to finish up things at the hospital and then we will be on our way. Generally in Sudbury we visit STOP (the restaurant supply store), Costco, HomeSense, a grocery store or two  and if we still have the energy, one or two thrift stores.  We do try to pack it in. It is a bit unusual for us to go so soon after we've arrived on the island but our stay here is so short this time that if we are going to enjoy our loot we need to do it this week. 

Hoping we can find a spot along the route to get you some photographs of the changing leaves which are quite beautiful.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

those PC's look terrific

if you sub'd toasted pecans , dark chocolate , on top of a chunk of home-made soft caramel , they'd be better.

then of course they would be Turtles.

and would not escape the condo 

just saying.

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

those PC's look terrific

if you sub'd toasted pecans , dark chocolate , on top of a chunk of home-made soft caramel , they'd be better.

then of course they would be Turtles.

and would not escape the condo 

just saying.

Even simple peanut clusters seemed like a miracle to me. I woke up thinking oh my Lord we are going into Sudbury and we have no chocolates made. But Kerry was right on top of it and I think even before she had her 1st cup of tea she was busy melting chocolate.   I would just have avoided visiting STOP!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Even simple peanut clusters seemed like a miracle to me. I woke up thinking oh my Lord we are going into Sudbury and we have no chocolates made. But Kerry was right on top of it and I think even before she had her 1st cup of tea she was busy melting chocolate.   I would just have avoided visiting STOP!

Now I am feeling most deprived.  Last night I ran out of peanuts.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou