• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mellowing in Manitoulin.

Anna N

With thanks to Keats' Ode to Autumn for inspiration:

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness...

Our first stop was in Barrie for a brief visit to one of Kerry's customers, The Georgian Chocolate Company.  This is housed in the smallest, cleanest, most organized chocolate making space I have ever seen. It is one very small room in a gluten-free bakery. 

image.jpeg

Beautiful packaging too!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The bakery offerings look very appetizing for something that was gluten-free.

We then drove around the corner for breakfast at Deb's Place:

image.jpeg

Kerry's tea with almost enough milk.

image.jpeg

Kerry's breakfast - no homefries and (shudder) brown toast. 

image.jpeg

My breakfast with homefries and sensible white toast that arrived after we took the photograph. 

image.jpeg

You all recognize this bridge. 

image.jpeg

And because we have our priorities straight these are the additions and replenishments for the bar.

• Like 23

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Yay! Another trip to the Island! How long is this visit? Any special plans?

Short visit this time. Just under two weeks. I don't know about plans. Did you see the booze we brought?  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Looking forward to this.  I'd have the brown toast and the home fries,  with ketchup.

No, no, no. Most definitely not ketchup but I would've taken HP sauce had it been offered.  And brown toast is just nasty.

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, NWKate said:

How lovely to have another blog!  How long will you be staying?

A little under two weeks. Plenty long enough to get up to no good. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Yep, saw that. Assumed a few cocktails might be on the menu.   xD

Very perceptive.  Looks as if Kerry will be working one on/one off so I'll get to drink twice as much as she does. One for you, two for me!  That is a ratio I can live with. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Manitoulin time! I can take or leave the homefries, don't mind 'em, don't mind if I don't get 'em. Not too picky about the toast but generally go for rye. Prefer my eggs slightly more done than either of those. The medium-ish custardy texture is my favorite. But I'll eat them however I get them as long as there's no egg white slime.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Manitoulin time! I can take or leave the homefries, don't mind 'em, don't mind if I don't get 'em. Not too picky about the toast but generally go for rye. Prefer my eggs slightly more done than either of those. The medium-ish custardy texture is my favorite. But I'll eat them however I get them as long as there's no egg white slime.

This was one of the best breakfasts I have had in a diner. I could only finish one piece of the back bacon and will be enjoying the other piece as a light dinner. Everything was hot and fresh and served cheerfully. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Everything was hot and fresh and served cheerfully. 

That goes a long way even when the food isn't as good as it could be. Even better when you get really good food to go along with it.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

As the sun sets over the marina. It is a view I never get tired of.  Look at the colours in that sky.

• Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Our first stab at some grocery shopping. Squid rings behind the shrimp in that first photo. 

We also brought up some other provisions to help fuel our adventures and will share them in due time. One of them attempted to attack me as I shoved it into the fridge. 

image.jpeg

And this really is breakfast for dinner (doggy bag from Deb's diner).

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'd go for rye over toast any day.  Note the bottle in their photograph.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's important to have the right ingredients for a few decent cocktails (and barrel-aged Negronis are great - I must see about putting another batch down).

As a foreigner I'm finally going to ask somethng I've wondered about in other eG postings - what are 'homefries' and how do they differ (if at all) from common or garden fried spuds?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

3 minutes ago, lesliec said:

It's important to have the right ingredients for a few decent cocktails (and barrel-aged Negronis are great - I must see about putting another batch down).

As a foreigner I'm finally going to ask somethng I've wondered about in other eG postings - what are 'homefries' and how do they differ (if at all) from common or garden fried spuds?

They don't speak with an Australian accent.xD

I don't think they differ at all but "homefries" seem to describe a multitude of preparations of potatoes. The ones you see above were quite a surprise to me. In my mind homefries are much more well, homely. They should be made from leftover boiled potatoes, roughly chopped. But lots will argue for their version.  

My 2004 eG Blog

52 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Oh dear, hornets nest stirred here. There is a difference between Australia and New Zealand ya know. 

I'd have fried potatoes any way they come as long as there's salt to go with :)

Damn, damn, damn. It was much, much too early in the morning. I absolutely know Leslie is in New Zealand. Perhaps one day he will find it in his heart to forgive me. After all there isn't a Canadian alive who hasn't been mistaken for an American and we know how much that hurts!

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

Have a good stay and hope you have better luck with the weather than I did.

Nice looking frittata.

When were you up?